problems with fluid simulation

Hi,

I’m pretty new with Blender, so maybe this is the reason of my problem :slight_smile:
Anywhere, Im trying to do a simple fluid simulation with a pill falling in a glass of water. (BTW - how can I change the “weight” of the pill to affect the amount of splash?)

The issue is that when Im baking the simulation, the liquid is going out of the glass (even though it is an obstacle)

Attached is the blend file.

Any help will be more than appreciate.

Regards

Jose

Attachments

fluid_test_03.blend (524 KB)

Check your fluid object. In the properties panel (N) turn on the normals display and you’ll see the face normals face inwards. Flip them with W / flip normals.
Try and be claen with your modelling.
Ensure the scale of all objects are 1 (Ctrl+A / clear scale)
Ensure you have the correct settings for fluis and obstacles. Are they a volume or a shell
Remove any doubles and ensure normals are correct.

how can I change the “weight” of the pill to affect the amount of splash?
Think of the real world. The faster an object enters the water the bigger the splash.

EDIT: What has this got to do with discussing blender ? Moved thread from Blender Discussion forum to Support / Particles and Simulation forum. Please think before starting new threads which forum is the most appropriate.

thanks a lot for your answer, and sorry for the mess with the forums, as I new here.
I couldn’t find in the Properties panel, the normals display, where is it? (Btw, before the baking of the sim, I edit the water , selected all and pressed recalculate - is this correct?)
What is the difference between volume and shell? How this affect the simulation?

Thanks again

Jose

Jose, you are running into something I find in blender all the time. There is lack of control in many areas. If your object has the mass of a ping pong ball, it will have a very different splash from a ball bearing with the exact same volume. There is no mass parameter for an object property. Not to mention, while acceleration due to gravity is a constant, air resistance is not, and so, again, the two objects with different masses will move through the air at different speeds.

Blender’s physics system is very, very limited. You can work around a lot of these limitations, but you might do well to spring for the free or the $99 dollar version of Houdini and learn that if you want a truly powerful physics simulator for VFX.

There is no mass parameter for an object property.
This is simulated by the Impact Factor which allows you to set how much force the obstacle is applying to the fluid.

There are many parameters that you can control. Topology helps in obstacle based situations. I have revised your scene and converted your cup into a more “proper” obstacle to contain the fluid. I revised the fluid object as well. Typically you will need two versions of each object for these kinds of situations. One object is called the “Proxy” and is used in the simulation. The other object is called the “Hero” and is used for final rendering. The proxy stands in place for the hero while the simulation is being calculated.

I duplicated the proxy cup (which is a 1-sided mesh) and added a Solidify modifier to it to make it the “Hero” object. I set the thickness to expand the cup outwards so the collision of the fluid still remains in contact with the wall. Also for final simulation you will want to set the cache to at least 600Mb or 1GB to achieve acceptable solution. Lower cache values tend to leak or look blotchy.

Try the BLEND file. Select the Domain and click Bake.

Attachments

267_drop_into_cup.blend (152 KB)

Yeah, there is another complaint I have: impact factor? Oh brother. What can’t things be named for their real world counterparts? What is impact factor influencing, exactly? At least with real world names for things like, “mass” with a real world value, it makes the simulation easier to predict and less trial and error. I’m pretty underwhelmed these days with Blender physics. I’ve been doing CGI for twenty years now in many different pieces of software and am not making these observations in a vacuum. I’ve never had such a hard time getting controllable results in a simulation as I do in Blender.

As a modeler, blender is top shelf and cycles is really coming along, but physics in Blender is inconsistent and very, very limited. See my last post about particles for just one more example. For VFX work, it is simply not ready for prime time at all.