Here is a little timesaver if you use Sketchup to model buildings

I’m refering to this: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?234521-Import-OBJ-but-using-existing-material

I just updated the Script for Blender 2.67

Just replace the two files in this Folder of the following ZIP: “Blenderpath”\2.67\scripts\addons\io_scene_obj
OBJ_IMPORT_BLENDER267.ZIP (13.5 KB)

Would be cool if Campbell would add it to Trunk :wink:

Kind regards
Alain

@Alain I could kiss you! I wont though. I promise!

Alain, what obj exporter are you using in SketchUp?
I use the free obj exporter by TIG. It works perfectly on complicated scenes.
Your script is a great help BTW.

I started using blender 2.49 as an assist for UV editing and organic modeling for sketchup. (I used the 3ds format at this time, with it’s known limitations)
Then started to use SketchUp as an assist to blender, especially after cycles.
Now, I just learned blender a bit more (the new tools implementations) and never opened SU again LOL
Funny, now using the new collada blender, you can import nice assets into SU without all these previous limitations. Too late to be happy though LOL Most of the old SU users leave SU for better apps. (blender among them)

thanks Alain for adding ,this has been a pain for long.

Me too.

I fear a bit of modeling buildings in Blender. In SU is everything so intuitive, easy and fast.
I can import CAD-Plans in DWG-Format (I use SU 7 for that) for a fast modelling.
I was not able to do that in Blender, I always had boring errors when I tried to import a DXF (instead a DWG) File.

If some can convince to modell buildings in Blender, I’m open for it :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Alain

Yeah, OK Alain. I feel your pain.
I just posted similar ideas on blender 2.67 thread.
Most replies were like… why do you need such tools? 3dmax hasn’t them, maya hasn’t them. Blender is not a cad tool. Or something similar.
We can input sizes in object mode (as meters or imperial) but never under edit mode. (too complicated).
Trying to build some workaround on this. It may be possible after all.

To get a good DXF import, you need to optimize the DWG prior to exporting as DXF to reduce the various higher order ACAD elements into simple lines, circles, and arcs. The ACAD command “Explode” is your friend.

Thanks for this script, it works beautifully and would have saved me a couple of headaches during my architectural projects over the past few years. :slight_smile:

I used to explode all my objects, but as of late the DXF PE importer deals with polylines perfectly well. I still clean up the drawings to speed up the import process, but the import process has gotten a lot more smooth than it used to be.

Hadn’t used it in a while… nice to know that polyline support is better than it once was… which was not at all for a long time :wink:

Good to hear that. It must be the reason why I recently imported a DXF-Files in Blender 2.67 with success :wink:

Kind regards
Alain