32 or 64bit?

Hi,

just out of curiosity, what version of Blender do you guys use, and (most interesting why)?

/Shadowrom

You have only access to 3 GB Ram with 32 Bit OS.
Better performance.

Cheers, mib.

64bit - to utilize all my memory when sculpting and things.

Because I have 16 gigs of RAM mostly. Honestly I can’t think of one single reason why anyone should want to use 32bit instead of 64bit OS if they were able to choose.

With a 64bit OS you can use more than 3GB of RAM and with a 64bit OS you can use both x64 and x84 applications whereas with a 32bit OS you can only use x84 applications (again this has to do with memory availability)

There is literally no downside to using a 64bit OS over a 32bit OS.

Gotta have my 64 GB of ram. =D

64 bit for obvious reasons…

Oh this starts to get interesting!
no one using 32bits?

Actually 32 bit can access 6 gigs, but in practice the overhead equals about 4 gigs of usable ram. Its all about the bus size. 32 bit should be used with older computers that have under 4 gigs, since most people have more than 4 64 bit is standard.

I’m using 32bits.
Why ? because that’s what my system is.

How old is your system, Sanctuary?

I use 64 bit for my freelance stuff because it is my equipment. I use 32 bit for my real jobbecause they still ruin XP (don’t even ask why…)

I’d prefer WinXP over the Win8 garbage that came preinstalled on this PC.

A few years old already, still on XP.
But fortunately for me fully adequate for everything i do with Blender (lots of modelling and texturing, a bit of sculpting a bit of animating) :slight_smile:

using 32 bits on a windows 7 with 2 GB ram. :slight_smile:

using 32 bits on a windows 7 with 2 GB ram.

Just as a tip if you are using win7 with 32x turn off the air theme, when you have only 2 gigs the RAM savings will be comparably significant.

Pfft, the community should set up a fundraiser to get you a new PC. You’re always helping people here; even taking the time to post multi-screenshot mini-tutorials to answer people’s questions.

I’m only one of many people trying to help :wink: Better use the foundraising to support the ones that actually made everything possible, the Blender Foundation :wink:

64 bit on OSX. 24GB RAM
Blender never crashes.
When blender reports 2GB of RAM, you may believe it, you may not.
It seems, only OSX activity shows the real thing. Sorry but it’s rather true.
In cases where multires is involved, on very dense meshes, a possible duplication, some shrinkwrapping… blender reports 2-4 GB of ram maybe, but the truth is x3 something.
Now, you don’t believe or trust the OSX. You may try to explain all the crashes, especially when you are on a google hangout the same time. Crash or blender, crash of the hangout, crash of the OS in the end.
Someone is lying here…
How many times you have to see it to understand the obvious?
My few ideas, sorry.
64bits and lot of RAM, please

64bit, of course, because more is almost always better.

64 bit because I wanted better memory access, but a few years ago all I could afford was a used pc with 32 bit XP on it. @xrg, I agree, we need to get him at least a small 64 bit box with some decent memory