blender fire tornado on history channel!

hey guys, thought i’d share some work i did for history channel using blender! it was an awesome ‘trial by fire’ opportunity to use blender to help visualize a number of disasters throughout the series. in this particular promo, i got to take full advantage of the smoke sim and volumetric renderer to recreate a fire twister that occurred during the 1923 ‘great kanto earthquake.’

many thanks to Thomas Piemontese and his cgcookie tutorial that provided some great inspiration and tips!

1 Like

That looks awesome : )

I’ve never been that impressed with any of the fire and smoke sims I’ve seen in Blender, but I have to say… this is the best one by far I have seen. Since you mentioned volumetrics, am I assuming correctly that this was done in Blender Internal or some combination of cycles and BI… either case a wonderful job.

It is a professional work. Good work, and congratulations for job in a tv channel.

thanks! it was definitely one of my favourite shots!

also did some pyroclastic smoke shots for another episode of the series, although i wasn’t as happy with how they turned out.

It is even more beautiful for me. It is really spectacular.