[AddOn] - Make Constellation Mesh

I received a petition of a student on how to get the Constellation effect in Blender, since she had a plugin to do it on your own program.

The result I got was similiar to the subs image:

I decided to make a few lines to cover this problem.
The addOn creates a new object from the vertices within the selected object.
It has a slider to select the maximum distance at which join vertices.

Suzanne Constellation in 3 minutes!

Other Example by Caleb Roenigk:

For download visit my blog: oscurart.blogspot.com

Try the attached .blend !

Attachments

SUSANA_CONSTELACION.blend (2.77 MB)

Oh wow, I love this effect. Hmmm really got me thinking of ways to parent the verts for interesting effects.

Hey !, thanks!
MM, good idea, this could be easy…

Good idea “edge ice” too.

Greetings.

I guess i would just hook empties to verts and apply tracked constraints to the empties. Would look real nice on a tracked video… hmm thinking ironman hud effect now…

Not really necessary to use empty.
Directly hook modifier should go.

It is a good idea when I’ll be adding.

Thanks a bunch!

nice script :smiley:

thankyou!

Just made a youtube video to show off this addon, its a great addon!
http://youtu.be/V8_m3h5eIuM

Thanks! The video is in the post now.

Nice looking effect - thank you. With Atom’s version its maybe easier to work. Maybe small tut would be helpful, it took me some time to understand how it works and what script I only need…

Anyway I was looking for this effect few years ago and in results I saw vertices has been connected interactively, depence on distance (I think).
My question is if its possible to generate connections on animated object - deformed by modifiers or shape keys …
Thanks for info.

@Caleb: how did you animate connectivity? bTrace?

Hello,
I would place names over all points of the constellation, my wish is creating types that move with my view, for ever readable. Can you explain me how to do? thanks