Stylised Biplane

Hey guys :slight_smile:

This is just a little something I’m working on in my free time, which I dont have much of, A level exams coming up :frowning:
Im only at a fairly early modelling stage. I dont know how far Im taking this scene, whether I’ll add a character or whatever, but I’d love some feedback and critiques :smiley:

Ben

Most recent render:

Very cool, I definitely like the stylized feel, and I think you could go further with it, like bigger propellers or what not.
But all in all cool design well executed. I look forward to seeing this textured.

Hi,

very nice ! I think - like captain said - you can put emphasis on some parts (propeller, wheel inclinaison, wings thickness). But, again, nice work, love to see the future of this WIP !

Nice creature! What about applying some materials/textures, to bring it into life?

P.S. The rivets on the engine cowling seem to be modeled. Sometimes it is more efficient to create rivets using texture, especially when you have to recreate plenty of these details…

Hey guys,
I have done a little bit more,
@Captain @ooka I agree with what you said, I’ve fattened the wings, and made the propellors bigger, any better? :slight_smile:
@Witold Jaworski I do plan on texturing it soon :slight_smile: The rivets are modelled at the moment, I may bake them to a normal map when I unwrap everything, we’ll see :slight_smile:

I also added a bobblehead doll to the plane just for a bit of fun. The model isnt finished I just wanted to see what you guys think before I spend loads of time on it :smiley: Also any advice on how to make the engine look good would be good.

Ben

Well - about the engine: it is a radial engine, so create one of its cylinder heads (basing on any photo of a radial engine from an airplane) then duplicate (clone) it around the central block. Typically such an engine has seven or nine cylinders. You can mimic the radiator plates on the cylinder heads using a transparency map.

P.S. Personally, this small head over the engine resembles me one of the items from a head hunter collection. I have not seen anything like this on any airplane… Pilots and ground crews often painted fantastic things on their “birds”, but I do not remember any dolls (such things add additional drag, aren’t they?).

Hey guys,
A little bit more still :slight_smile:
@Witold Jaworski Thanks for the help with the engine.
I’ve modelled the cylinder heads now. I think I’m nearly ready to do a bit of texturing. Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome :slight_smile:

Ben

Hey guys :slight_smile:

It has been I while since I last posted, it’s the middle of exam season so progress is slow. Anyway, I’ve been playing around with colour a bit. Only briefly began texturing so textures may change significantly between now and when I finish. I’ve added a HDRI map just so reflections are visible :slight_smile: Tell me what you think.

Ben

Hello, don’t be hurt by this, but I feel pain when I look at green and blue like these one… Red/black ? Yellow overall ? Maybe try something else. But keep it up !

@ookka Thanks for your comment, without criticism I won’t improve :slight_smile: I have changed the colours, I was experimenting with triadic colour.
What do you guys think of the new colours? :slight_smile:

Ben

its never going to fly with those stubby little wings!
also the props were generally made of wood

@Small Troll I know it wont fly :slight_smile: I’m going for a stylised, cartoony feel :slight_smile: Thanks for the comment :slight_smile:

Ben

ah ok carry on :slight_smile:

props are still made of wood…

Hi, I prefer these color :slight_smile: Do you plan to let this background ? Maybe you will be able to get a better feeling of colors with the final (or a white) background ?
++

@ookka Im glad you prefer the colour :slight_smile: I plan to model a hangar and runway in the background so I will mess with the colour a little more then :slight_smile:

Ben

Hey guys,
Progress is slow but here’s an update. I’ve created the environment although it is far from finished, the hangar needs alot more work done to it :slight_smile: I’ve also done some texturing to the plane, scratches and such. As always any comments and criticism welcome :slight_smile:

Ben

I love this style and work toward similar end products. I think you’ve done a great job!

A couple of comments:

What if the wheels were bigger? Like, two or maybe even three times bigger? I’m wondering if that would throw off the balance of the design or take it to somewhere new. I sometimes spend hours staring at an object working out which part(s) to exaggerate and which to de-emphasize.

Have you tried your bobble-head as a wing-walker?

What’s the white thing on top of the wings? It looks like a rear-view mirror.

Overall, though, it’s really great. I like your use of compliments with contrasting tone levels.

@rontarrant Thanks for your comments. I do need to revisit the wheels as it is, the texture is horrible so I will mess around with their scale :slight_smile: I don’t really want to move the bobble-head because I’m attempting to draw focus to the front of the plane but I will move it around and see.

Hey guys another update, I think it’s pretty much finished, I have done a little bit of work on the wheels, still need to change that damn texture. I’ve hopefully added some visual interest to the hangar and changed the background so it fits in with the grass. As always, criticism welcome :smiley:

Ben

It’s cute. But for someone who has their own private pilot’s license and flies routinely [me], I can tell you in real life the chances of that thing getting off the ground are slim to nil. The wings are far too short for the weight of the body.