It's all in the hips...and thighs.

So, I’m running through one of my models and once again I have this problem with the pelvic area. I made this model using Makehuman for the body and Rigify for the armature. However, the picture I have here…

…is annoying the fudge out of me because of the way this ugly looking crease appeared. So I’m here to ask is there a way or a method to fix this around the pelvic area?

That’s some sharp weight painting going on there. The influence weights should blend at the edges of vertex groups, but that one stays at 1 all the way to the edge.

I have noticed that automatic weights from Rigify often make these sharp vertex groups, particularly at the hips and shoulders. I don’t know why that is exactly, but it can be fixed by doing your own weight painting.

In general if you want clean crease line as in thigh / body joint, create loops to define that fold geometry. If you create zigzag geometry like you have, you are going to get zigzag folding! Here is one of the models I built in the past that has loop around bend / fold area. It can be done:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m626/cabby24/Blender%20Pics%202013/thighcl_zps61ba601b.png

Yeah like horseman said definitely blur those weights, realistically, at least in my experience. I usually have less vertices per bone with full weighting (i.e. red) as i do lower weights like greens and yellows.

I could try that. If all else fails and I can’t get it right, I can simply get another model from Makehuman and recreate the character.

I gotta say though I don’t know what would be creating that issue. I mean blenders automatic weighting is top notch. I get basically perfect results every time.

Perhaps, I’m doing something wrong in this process. If only I knew a tutorial that had this issue with makehuman models.

It could be the model or riggify like K Horseman said. But I mean i always find those automated systems for stuff like this to be more trouble then they are worth. Knowing how to do it all yourself is more then worth the time and effort if you ask me.

I just found the answer to the problem. I just recently found out that the actual Makehuman model had an option of adding it’s own rig to the exported model. Do you know what this mean? It means that I have wasted the last week using the Rigify Rig to make sure that it deformed properly! I’m going to bed.

You were wrong in your expectations, that’s all.

Rigify is just a useful rig; the weighting is always handled by Blender.

Your problem is not a complex one: If you want your model to bend naturally, you have to weight-paint accordingly. Nothing but red means there will sharp bendings only. Make a ‘‘rainbow’’ from 1 to 0 in both vertex groups.