Feedback on Base Models

Hello all,

I’m working on a personal project and have created base characters to build the cast from. At the very least, these will be used for extras.

Looking for some feedback and suggestions, before I start the real modeling.

These are intended to be cartoonish.

Thanks. in advance.

Attachments

the topology is nice, did you define vertex groups for the corners of the mouth etc?

your eye corners need more detail, but other then that it looks rig-able :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input. No vertex groups defined yet, but you asked specifically about the corners of the mouth. Can you tell me what that gives me?

Any suggestions on what I should do to the eye corners.

I’m fairyly green and appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, again, for the input.

Better or Worse???

Attachments

Messy messy messy :smiley: You have to always be aware of where you place your poles, and more importantly what type of poles you place, you used a triangle pole, (or Y pole not that either of those names are real) which can lead to poor deformation in high traffic areas such as under the eye and near the mouth. You should always always try to have 5 sided poles (as in a vertex with 5 attached edges) where topology converges and there is no alternative.

And don’t get me started on the mouth, I mean if you want dimples those poles will force dimples but for a base mesh (or any mesh in my book, but I’m pretty strict about that) it is not recommended. For the mouth piece you always place the poles on the upper cheek where it meets the eyes. But this isn’t terrible, not sure why you want so much lower lip density but are so stingy with your edge loops everywhere else, especially the outer corners of the eyes. As your eye closed shapes wont work out all to well unless there is a middle loop, to hold form.

I would seriously suggest “stop staring 3” amazing book, geared towards Maya, but the concepts are standard throughout the industry.

You know i did my research on everyone else right away, but i just did it on you now. I find you intriguing sir. Definitely my polar opposite, my perspective on our project here has really changed. I really didn’t know your true level of commitment. It’s funny how if you just keep putting everything you can into what you want how all the pieces just sorta fall into place.

Thanks Captain. This was some beneficial input. Of course I have not check this in a while, since it was not getting a lot of traffic, but I think your input will be helpful once I have a chance to get back to modeling.

I’ve also learned a lot from our project.