Charlton Automatic Rifle

Hey folks. Built a game ready Charlton Automatic Rifle to practice my hardsurface workflow. The Charlton AR is kind of odd looking because it’s a Lee-Enfield rifle converted from bolt action to automatic. Primary HP and LP modeling done in Blender (HP shots were rendered in Cycles), baking in xNormal, texturing in Photoshop and dDo. The rifle is modeled to be fully animated and has movable bolt, trigger, sight, and bipod as well as removable magazine and rounds. The mesh is 16,000 triangles, and has 2048 diffuse, specular, gloss, and normal maps. Rendered in Marmoset.

All critique welcome!

Attachments

That looks great! I like the LP renders more than the HP, which look way too clean.

the lp looks great! I would agree with van pelt, though, that the high poly seems a bit clean and, i’d say, a bit plasticish…?

I think it looks fantastic!

The details are blowing me away and the textures are really nice. Great job :slight_smile:

Thanks folks! Just to be clear, for game res, a highpoly model is only ever a means to the create the normal detail, rather than be textured itself. I just included it to get a better idea for the workflow.

Great job all the way around! :smiley:

Wow, that looks great. +100 points for making a model of a gun that hasn’t been done to death!

nice textures, the worn off paint looks awesome. it’s nDo doing all the work? how do you make those exactly?

Nice work Dim. You always do some interesting low poly stuff like you character for dominance war that I remember from some time back. 5*'s from me

Just a short question,how much did the texture making took you?

Nice work. I wish Blender rendered like marmoset.

Spectatular texturing. I am amazed.

Why did you decide to make the gun shoot what seems to be a public place? Are you planning something?

Looks great!

Great work. I wish my SVD would look like that.

nDo, is in it :D? Great work as allways.

This has really impressed me great work :slight_smile:

great work on the model and especially the texturing:eyebrowlift2:

Brilliant work, Dim! :slight_smile:

Wow, that looks great. +100 points for making a model of a gun that hasn’t been done to death!

Thanks man! Yeah, that was one of my motivations for doing it. There’s so many cool looking and weird weapons out there, no reason to make another M4. Couple good sites to check out for ref: http://www.forgottenweapons.com/ and http://rareantiqueandbeautifulfirearms.tumblr.com/

nice textures, the worn off paint looks awesome. it’s dDo doing all the work? how do you make those exactly?

Ha, no dDo didn’t do all the work. The best way to think about that program is as a mask generator and workflow aid. Essentially, all the masks you’d photo ref or handpaint are generated using the data you supply from your model. You can then go back and hand paint any that you aren’t happy with or you feel need to be tweaked. On the workflow side, it allows you to unify your editing of diffuse, spec, gloss and normal so that you can much more easily tweak them. What I ended up really liking about the program was that it doesn’t take anything out of your hands, you can still work as you always have, it just simplifies the process of building detail into 4 separate maps.

Nice work Dim. You always do some interesting low poly stuff like you character for dominance war that I remember from some time back. 5*'s from me

Thanks Tyrant! I haven’t been very active on BA for a while, do you have any more current work I can check out?

Just a short question,how much did the texture making took you?

Probably 25-30 hours total, but I was also learning dDo and helping them with feedback, so there were a few false starts. From scratch, I could probably do it again in 8-10.

Nice work. I wish Blender rendered like marmoset.

Well, you kind of can if you render with IBL (like my HP renders).

Great work. I wish my SVD would look like that.

Hey man, took a look at the SVD and Nagant you made and your models are really good. The two biggest things that stood out to me were that you’ve got some artifacting in your normal map because you NEED to split your UVs anywhere you have a hard normal edge or you’re going to have terrible mipping issues. In addition, you have to basically split you normals on any edge over roughly 45 degrees or you’re going to end up with some tangent issues. All of this adds up to a lot of UV islands unfortunately. But that’s basically just how hardsurface modeling works. The only alternative is to build in a lot of support geo around the sharper corners of the mesh. Some of the 3Point guys do this, but it takes a lot of practice to know where you’ll need them.

nDo, is in it :D? Great work as allways.

I actually used nDo for very little. Literally only used it for the stamped text and logos on the rifle.

Thanks folks! Hopefully that answered some questions.