The bottomless pit of WIP

So many projects, all unfinished, and most unworthy of their own thread. here goes:

to start things off, here is a BMW3 that I am working on.
current progress:

(note: this used to be a wip dump back in the day)

thumbnail image:

See page #6 for details.

old, original BMW pics from the original first post:
d=1362010631&thumb=1
d=1362010682&thumb=1
d=1362010801&thumb=1
and here is a kart (addons?) I am making for SuperTuxKart based on the Goblin mascot for MediaGoblin the character was originally from blendswap and I low-polied it as well as rigging and making a few changes. the kart is very basic at the moment, and I will hopefully change it a lot in the near future. the whole thing as of now is around 3k faces. much too high.

and here is a track for the same game (STK) called Old England I am almost done with that. really just need to upload it to addons.

and here is another track I am making again for STK thats in a volcano…

Here are some car I have modelled for modelling practice. someday I will finish them:
and Audi A5:

a Mercedes Benz:

and a Porsche 911

not really sure what I am doing here… more updates soon/when I get it figured out.

haha, have you seen “Wreck-It Ralph” ? Reminds me of the glitch track in the cola mountain :smiley:

now this is more like it (NOT! :stuck_out_tongue: ) nah, I still have a long way to go to make this look good, but it’s coming along.

that reminds me… finish the model before you start worrying about rendering this much…

no, but they probably stole the idea from me… I’ve been “working” on that for a while.

oh, yes, cycles question. How do you get a plane to receive shadow, but not “show up” in the render. like it is just there for shadow.

hmmm… these are still from Thursday. I just didn’t have time to upload.
LOL this is bad.

and just a little nothing:

any help with the cycles question? (1 post up)

For the cycles question, i don’t think you can.

What i do is render a sperate plane with just the shadow, and the set it to multiply over a background plate in GIMP. I think it works pretty well.

another chunky render for the BMW…

anyone got some good rendering tutorials? (note to self: finish the model :stuck_out_tongue: )

modelling practice #4, Infiniti m45:

I had a different method of doing windows this time, and it is a lot easier and better looking.

Did you check out this tutorial? http://cgcookie.com/blender/2012/04/06/rendering-a-sports-car-in-blender-cycles-part-01/
Should be pretty much what you are looking for :slight_smile:

Nice! I love KARTS! is that game going out soon?
soo many unfinished business mate :yes:

wow. why’d I think that was for citizens. slaps himself on the forehead. thanks.

we just released 0.8.0 a couple of months ago http://supertuxkart.blogspot.com/2012/12/supertuxkart-08-released.html
oh, and we are going to be SF’s PotM in April, so that will be fun :smiley:

yup.

well, maybe not quite as much as it seems. many of those models I made for practice and I geuss you could call them finished until I start my rendering practice. then I wip (oh, funny.) out my models and have some render fun. well, that’s my plan at least.

well, finally got through the first half of the tutorial…

I really need to finish the model, and the main things hold it back right now are the tires and headlights. Right now I am using the Mike Pan tires, and they look great, but I really need to make some of my own. I have found a few tuts for this and that should be good. For the headlights though I have no clue how model them, or even how they should look.

but I am getting there :smiley:

Here is a pair of skates I am working on. It’s taken a bit over an hour to get this far. I still have to add shoe laces and texture. 32k with subsurf on and 1.4k without. I will upload to opengameart.org and blendswap when I am done.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221641[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221642[/ATTACH]

Finished the modelling on Thursday, or was it Friday?(I hope) but I am still not happy with the lights. :frowning:

It think the IOR on the headlights is way too high, considering the cover is made of plastic rather than real glass.

You could do a lot more, there are a lot of things missing. Taking this reference the wheelarchs need a more flat, sharp edge around. You didn’t model the parts as parts, e.g. the front bumper is connected to the fender in the front, so is the sideskirt with the back fender.
The detailline along the side is more of a transition to the lower topology, rather than this ridge in your model.
I could go on, if you want :wink:

if you are willing to :slight_smile: