BEPUik Full Body Inverse Kinematics

BEPUik is a full body inverse kinematics solution for Blender.

To get more information go here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Squashwell

Windows64 and Mac downloads available:

Twitter: Squashwell
Twitter: Norbo

1 Like

I have some problems installing the add-on, Windows XP 64bit; it doesn’t appear after instalation on my add-on list therefore I cannot enable it. Anyone else experienced the same issue?

That could be a couple different things.

Most obvious thing first: is the folder structure right after the extraction?

It SHOULD look like this:
…\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik_init_.py
…\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik\pybepu.…
…\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik\libbepuik_addon.dll

And there’s one more folder - pycache. From the console I can see that the add-on is installed and yet I can’t find it on my add-ons list…

What version of Blender are you using?

By any chance is the addons search filter messing it up?

I can see BEPUik if I highlight:
supported level: Community
Categories: Animation.

Here’s a print screen (2.65, official release)

That’s weird. (in that it looks otherwise normal)

What was your install process? I’ll see if I can follow the steps to replicate it.

I did this:

1. I did an “install from file”
  2. I clicked on the .zip itself.

That seemed to work for me.

Could you open up the python console editor view in blender and type:
import bepuik

then press enter.
That may or may not have given you an error, but if it doesn’t, type:

bepuik.pybepu.config.Config.dllpath

press enter. It should print out a path.

If both work then … something stranger is afoot.

Oh, so you don’t need to unzip the package! Great, it’s working now! Thank you and let me play with this gem!

Hi!
This is for which Blender version? Can I use the newest from graphicall? Because now I have only error when I try to move bone. Anyway You should make a little video tutorial how to use it. I animate a lot, tutorial will be awesome, now i don’t really know what to do. Anyway thx for Your work :slight_smile:

I recently updated the main post with a better explanation of the control scheme.

That error is probably caused by bug I mention in Known Issues. A tutorial is on my to-do list!

Thanks, Squashwell. Many, many thanks.

My first impression is - great addon! With this feature you don’t really need FK/IK switch! Amazing work! I’ll test it a bit more later and share my opinions with you (by the way keyframing seems to work pretty nice!).

Thank you Squashwell! Once I get some time, will begin testing this one. :slight_smile:

Installed on r53886 Windows 8 64bit with no problems.

Loaded the examples.blend file and have 4 bones on screen. What is “tweak select with the mouse?” I thought it would simply be a right click. I get the following error when I right click followed by an error when I press “G”

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\unity2k\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik_init_.py”, line 288, in execute
return bpy.ops.bepuik.tweak(‘INVOKE_DEFAULT’,tweak_type =Config.TWEAK_DRAG,check_auto_select=False)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 186, in call
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), C_dict, kw, C_exec, C_undo)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\unity2k\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik_init_.py”, line 563, in invoke
self.solve_handle = context.region.callback_add(solve, (self, context), ‘POST_PIXEL’)
AttributeError: ‘Region’ object has no attribute ‘callback_add’

location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:186

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\unity2k\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik_init_.py”, line 307, in execute
bpy.ops.bepuik.tweak(‘INVOKE_DEFAULT’,tweak_type =Config.TWEAK_TRANSLATE,check_auto_select=True)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 186, in call
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), C_dict, kw, C_exec, C_undo)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\unity2k\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\addons\bepuik_init_.py”, line 563, in invoke
self.solve_handle = context.region.callback_add(solve, (self, context), ‘POST_PIXEL’)
AttributeError: ‘Region’ object has no attribute ‘callback_add’

location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.65\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:186

looking forward to trying this out…unfortunately I must sleep first, (been awake since before my first post yesterday) I’m on the verge of psychotic episode if I don’t close my eyes soon :s

I’ll post back results in the evening. :slight_smile:

Can you animate what that would look like in BEPUik? I mean the psychotic part.

What you did SHOULD have worked. The error I’m fixing now may fix yours too, since its one of those that can cause all sorts of weird problems that seem unrelated.

Really awesome plugin… however I wonder if it is possible to retarget (using Blenders animation retargeting fuction) an already done animation to a BEPUik rig to further expand and improve an animation set.

How do you extend the chain? I’ve tried adding bones, but I get odd behavior.

Yes :slight_smile: I think that will be my first project that utilizes this addon.

If you read Squashwell’s original post, you may find the answer. Look under “Quirks.”