Bump Map generator

I was watching the blenderguru’s recent video about realistic texturing and bump map generator - CrazyBump… But’s it’s not free…I was wondering if there is any free opensource alternative for generating 5 kinds of Bump maps, or if it can be done manually in GIMP…
seriously, there is no meaning of working with a paid program for a big open source program (blender).

In GIMP you can do filter>map>normalmap
I dont know how the results compare…

which one ?
bump map from photo pics

GIMP can do it or even some image editor have an option to make bump map

or bump map from a 3D model in blender ?
need a composite nodes set up
but would be better to bake it instead as a normal map!

salutations

What do you think about this software:

http://quixel.se/ndo/

it asks to buy a license…doesnt it?

It’s really hard to find a good free version of a render map generator. There are some options, but they usually output some pretty depressing results. You could use Gimp or Photoshop, but then you’d be using a lot of time per texture. If you can buy either CrazyBump or ndo2, they are definitely worth it (I’ve been using ndo2 for a while now, really useful).

you can try njob which is free

salutations

you can do it in gimp easy enough, you probably need the normal map plugin but for the rest
spec map, colours/threshhold- adjust sliders til you have a good black and white image
displace map, colours/desaturate, filters/blur/guassian blur
AO same as spec but make the sliders so it only shows the shadows.

What do you thing about SSbump

SSbump is nice but I could not understand how it worked. There was this, there was that. The interface was very confusing. You could give it a try though.

I’ve bought ShaderMap
I was lucky, when I bought it it was 20 USD, now with the latest version it got slightly more expensive.
But it’s a great tool IMO, generates AO,Spec,Diffuse,Bump, Displace and Normalmaps, X,Y,XY-tiled textures from images and can render them out with prefixes/suffixes.

You could also try xNormal, which is free and does a not so bad job…

I suppose the best thing one can do is to just go to gimp or photoshop and learn a workflow for creating each of the texture maps.

The result of the crazybump is much superior than the gimp’s plug-in.

hmm nevermind

You can do it in gimp. I ran across a tutorial on how to do it in gimp about 2 years ago. I only remember it doing normal maps, not the other ones. Crazy bump is well worth the purchase, IMO

yeah in GIMP you can duplicate the layer and blur one slightly (for larger details), and then sharpen the other for finer details. Then you set each layer mode to “grain merge” then duplicate each layer a few times. Then finally flatten image.
I have crazy bump now and Ill do a comparison between the two.

thats the only trouble doing it with GIMP (or even photoshop) it can take a lot of tweaking with layers, filters and blend modes to get the right amount of gradient between the highs and low points. but it can still be done which is all that matters if you are too broke to stump up the license fee! (like me :frowning: )

There is another tool you can consider: MapZone. It works with nodes and is a bit complex, but you can get interesting textures.

Mapzone seems promising :slight_smile:

MapZone has some pretty good leather and fabric materials.