Astrolabe

Here is a cycles render of an astrolabe I recently made.

Comments would be appreciated, as I am still new to modelling and rendering, thanks.

Maybe a little too polished. In the corners there would be small bits of dirt, and the material would be rougher, as a polishing tool can’t get in there.
The hardest part about CG is the dirt and imperfections.

Other than that, it’s jolly good.

Thanks for the comment, they all help. I guess it does need dirtying up a bit.

What about the model, render and lighting?

God, that’s gorgeous!
Do the orbits move and everything?
This should be a blendswap. I can think of like five things off the top of my head I’d use it in.
Perfect sci-fi furniture.

nice work!! agree about the dirt and (bear in mind I only ever seen 1 in a museum) that one the planets was coloured glass beads and the gimbals(joints) was in steel

Thanks Adam, much appreciated. I don’t have it rigged. I may put in on blendswap, but I’ve only just joined, and have so far only uploaded one blend.

Heddheld, there are many types of astrolabe. This version does not contain orbs.

I remember studying about astrolabes years ago in grade 7. Cool model you’ve got there. And about the dirt issue, it all depends on how you want to portray your mesh. If you want it to look like some old, used astrolabe in a dusty room, then yes, obviously you’ll need imperfections. But if you want to make it look brand new, then dirt will be a waste of time. Nice render.
Cheers!

The dirt thing is really a matter of taste. Other than that, great model, and great lighting. If I were to pick out any flaw, it’s that that the large ring in the center is a bit noisy. But You have to look very carefully to even notice that.

Thats cool!

My personal taste on adding dirt to this, I would not do. Unless you are going for a older look. To me this says it is either brand new. Or old that has been restored and highly polished before photo taken.

I like it! How many samples?

Only 1000 samples. Agape.

Show, his work was very good.

Erm, thanks. I’m still pretty new to this, so all feedback and criticism is appreciated.

your model is fine… the “dirt” i think a lot of people are talking about is called a wash and is usually done on purpose. the artist will paint a form of black sludgy adhesive oil over the entire thing, and it pools in crevices darkening lines, and thick parts of the pigment get scraped off the brush on the corners which creates the dark convex corners, then it evaporates which softens the corners of the pigments and removes most of the thin layer on top of flat surfaces, giving you an exadurated ambient occlusion effect… this often makes pieces of art more valuable, but it is not out of necessity. your model is fine the way it is if you like it.

Very nice model! I think is true that you can make it more realistic with some material and textures tweaking, but that’s up to you. Good work!

if you DO want to do this just pop it in the blender internal and bake a real dark ambient occlusion texture. then pop it in gimp or photo shop and upp the contrast a little and increase the darkness so the lines are still small from the contrast but are relitively black. then make sure it has a transparent background and pop it on top of your gold/brass texture.

Yeah the dirt issue is always something to consider - new or not? I wanted it to look a little like the type of image you might see in an auction guide, so the model had to reflect that, so I tried to make it look old, but well polished, over cared for and spruced up for the photo.

Adding AO to cycles renders, even on multilayer renders is still difficult for me, I use a node tree I created myself, and it’s a hack job, so I tend not to use it.

Hi,
Great model,
About the dirt question , it’s totally subjective and depends on the look you want.

But, i’d suggest to try it and decide just how much … let’s say you add some fingerprint smudge texture and/or bake a dirtmap.

If 100% dirt is the model getting a post-atomic look … it’s surprising how often a 2% or 5% (almost invisible dirt) makes the object looks clean but just more realistic!.

Of course, if it’s a product visualization (/commercial) you’ll want to care much more about studio light setup and reflections than that (and you’ve got a really nice lighting going on here!) … but dirt and patina always add realism even when you almost don’t see them.

I never get what those things are but i love them. Great job!