An Old Troll

This is my newest Cycles render. All of the materials were created by me, along with a custom SSS shader. I wish I could take credit for the model, but this time it’s not mine. Credit for the model goes to Ulf Lundgren. The textures are larger retouched versions of the ones that come with the Arnold 101 class at FXPhd.com. I took them into Photoshop, blew them up, and added some more details in places where I felt they were too muddy. The cape looks like crap because, well, it’s meant to have fur on it, so is the troll itself. I’ll definitely revisit this once hair and fur are implemented in Cycles. Any comments and constructive criticisms are welcome.

nice work! I really like this. I saw your new avatar and was wondering about it :wink:
the SSS on the ears when it is dark/cloudy out doesn’t seem right to me…

edit: I forgot to mention, 5* :wink:

That’s incredible. No words, not one word can explain this image’s awesomeness…

It’s a… photograph… of a #$%#ing troll! I hate you!

I should also mention that I rendered this on www.render.st. It took a little over two minutes and cost me about 8 cents. Very speedy, it takes about 15 minutes on my i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz and is currently chugging along at over and hour and a half on my crappy dual core lappy… Quite a bargain, and it handles Blender 2.64a features. I definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a good Blender render farm.

Looks nice!

Thanks! In the Cycles thread someone has just posted a hair primitives patch. I could end up revisiting this much sooner than I had thought!

It looks very nice. I’m looking forward to seeing it with hair and fur (and maybe later with a true SSS :wink: ) My only criticism is that the textures look a bit stretched in a few places (bottom of the ear, left eyebrow), but maybe it’s because it’s meant to be covered with hair…

Post this on CG society – I think you could get into 3dworld…

First off I think this is really amazing and daren is right:) The only thing that pops out to me and seems out of place is the clasp on his robe right under his neck. It just seems so clean and I cant tell if its suposed to be silver but I keep thinking it should be tarnished or even the same gold material as the earings. Again this is really awesome stuff…very eye catching and the DOF is perfect…brings so much focus on the eyes:) Great job man congrats:)

Happy Blending:P

somehow, it looks kinda cute to me lol
it’s very well-executed!
if i have to pick out a problem,
i guess it’s the left ear and the ear ring.

the ear is blurred but the ear ring is very clear.
i don’t know, maybe that’s your intention.
:eyebrowlift:personal opinion!
anyway, cool work!

Still no fur on this? LOL (just noticed how you keep in touch with cycles-hair development)
Wonderfully textured and rendered creature!
I have to agree a little with ctdabomb. A different background could explain SSS on the ears better.
BTW
Four wonderful renders on the banner (and a fifth, one of my sculpts among them. Very flattering).

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the fantastic feedback! I’ll be working on updating the render today, hopefully with hair and some other improvements. I agree with pretty much everything said so far. It’s an honor to be featured at the top of the site. As far as posting anywhere else, I’m trying to get permission to spread this render from Ulf, the other artist responsible for this work. Once I hear back from him I’ll post it up in a few other places.

its good but in my opinion you should decrease the DoF amount I mean the nose i very very blury

great!

If I can suggest something, I would say try to put a rim light/ backlight anche delete the blur from the nose (imo)

great anyway!

Keep that troll away from my cocaine! Ah, it’s not real. Huh!

Seriously

IMHO
It’s the Cyrano de Bergerac of the trolls or the blurness is tad over done.

Any how, it’s far beyond of my skills.

Great job!

To those speaking about the DoF on the nose, you can’t tell from this angle, but the nose is in fact quite huge.

great shading! would you mind to share the sss node setup?

I would say it’s just as good if not better than Ulf Lundgren’s render in Arnold.

http://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/movieBox.php?course=ARN101

Obviously the “true” SSS in Arnold allows for better skin results, but Cycles is certainly getting close to Arnold in terms of quality. Soon it will just be a matter of speed and memory management that divides them. And price and availability, of course :wink: