ctdabomb's sketchbook

Hey all. Just showing off some of my artwork while I learn to draw better. C&C, tips, etc… are welcome and greatly appreciated.
just a note: My notebook was bigger than my scanner, so sorry for not the highest quality images :wink:

Attachments

Here is some more stuff, actually from a few months ago, whereas the ones in the first post are from the last couple weeks.
(Again, my scanner lost a lot of the quality especially on the deer.)

here is some more stuff(still slightly old):

dumb 3 pictures per post rule.

here are a couple WIPs

I’ve had this finished for a while, but never uploaded it :stuck_out_tongue:

hey, i know you from the STK forums! nice drawings!

These are some really good drawings, well done! The only thing I would say is, depending on what you are trying to achieve, you need to spend more time on your drawings; make sure that you have a good range of tone and that all the lines are smooth - try to avoid drawing in ‘continuous line’. However, if these drawings are simply concept sketches then what you have done is great and, of course, you will become more accurate the more you do.

Hi calzaath!

yea, I do have problems with tone range. the scanner does take out some of it, but the is a bad excuse. I have been working on my drawing a lot lately, and should hopefully have something a bit more decent soon. :wink:

ctdabomb

Here is a drawing of a statue of Marcus Aurelius. I did a little better with this piece, but not really. I messed up so many times, and I didn’t even do the hair because I was scared… try to enjoy :stuck_out_tongue:
Again, I am blaming my scanner for not showing it the best. It looks better in real life.

The puppy one is good in the sense that one look and you immediately see emotion in the puppy. The emotion is sadness. Poor puppy. That or it is begin for scraps. Also look at drawing tutorials. Look for different techniques. Take what you like. Never limit yourself to just one way of doing something in art.

Very interesting post. Thanks a lot for the post.

From a pen, ink and watercolor class. First day.

I like your soft curves and shading techniques. It kind of adds just a little tad of emotional feelings looking at that. The one with the puppy is amazing. What did you use for reference ?

very nice drawings, yes the hair on marc aurelius is a challenge to draw, try to see the bigger forms first, and shade them in lightly, then break them into smaller forms, by shading over a little stronger,

Thanks guys, actually I drew the puppy from another drawing of a puppy, a few years ago when I just starting learning for real, so I can’t quite take all the credit for it.

More from that class. I seem to be having the same problem here as with pencils, I don’t get enough contrast or enough different shades in the color. It works ok in this piece though.

before the watercolor:

Sorry, nothing new in here for a bit. All from the class, I haven’t had much time outside of that (and stuff for it) for drawing.

and a couple minutes of coloring fun in gimp of the tree to see what it would look like. Only 3 images per post, and it isn’t that much special, so I put it on pasteall. http://pasteall.org/pic/67853 but still please take a look.