Fabric Texture WIP

I’m working on creating a nice looking fabric texture for an upcoming tutorial I’m making. This is what I have so far. It’s created 100% in Blender. I’m not looking for photo-realism, but I want something that looks nice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

The weave’s looking great! An additional layer of realism would be how fabric has “split ends”, where coming off of the fabric are strays. These tend to grab highlights off the primary fabric, creating a fuzzy, less detailed sense. Maybe a looooow particle system with interpolated children, very low alpha, and with lighter-than-the-base specular.

Yeah, those are definitely going to be added. Just wanted to get the woven part nailed down first. But thanks for the comment!

A quick update on my progress. It looks good to me so far. And again, the texture is created 100% within Blender.

Josh, that last picture is looking fantastic!
I’m looking forward to your tutorial.
Will it include making that texture?

Yes, the creation of this texture will be a major piece of the second part of the tutorial. Expect that to happen fairly soon.

how did you do it ?
model or use nodes to set up the fabric grid ?

i’v seen a node set up in cycles that can do diagonal fivers single or double weaves

aslutations

It’s actually a fairly in depth process. Keep an eye on BlenderCookie.com, I’ll be doing a tutorial for them in which I outline the whole ordeal, hopefully in the next week or so. Glad you guys like it.

Wow that really looks nice… can’t wait for the tutorial is it up already?

dang that’s a cool looking texture!

Here’s a test of the texture on a character. I think it’s coming along nicely.

Attachments

+1

looking forward to the tutorial! Nice job.

hae you advance with the tut

can you show nodes set up for it

thanks