GGG - The Great Blender Game Engine Game Project

[This project is currently on hold]

Hi all,

this is the blenderartist project page of the GGG.
http://www.javaforge.com/displayDocument/GGG+logo+480x270.png?doc_id=168864
GGG is open source
GGG is a community project
GGG is supposed to create a game
GGG is The Great Blender Game Engine Game Project

What is the game supposed to be?

Do you know the details of the BGE? How it works? Do you?
There might be some good documentation out there. But…

[INDENT]Don’t read the BGE!
> PLAY THE BGE <[/INDENT]

The Game
The game is about you are working for the company BGE Inc. (working title). The slogan of Blender Inc. is “We design world”. The slogan of BGE Inc. is: “We run worlds!”

So you are joining BGE Inc. You start as a beginner and proceed throw various departments to process the BGE. The idea is, that the player learns how the BGE “ticks” by running it.

Here is a very simple prototype to show the navigation concept

The Project
The project is to create exactly this game.
The project is hosted at JavaForge (indeed it is not a Java project ;)). This is the project page of GGG. If you discover any problems with this page, post a message here or pm me :D.

Team members
I will be the project manager. (Additional project manager can be accepted.)
The project is looking for a lot of team members with different skills. Just have a look at project to see if you like the idea. If you want you can apply at the project page.
At the beginning some artists are needed to create concept art. More than one concept would be nice as the game should be skinable. Based on this we can start designing the first models.

Anyway: What skills do we need:

• Art designers
  • Modellers
  • Material designers
  • Animators
  • Logic Developers (Python and Non-Python)
  • Sound designers (Music and Effects)
  • Story authors (just a short story ;))
  • Level designers (do not be to excited, levels are very simple)
  • Game Flow Testers
  • Help Text Authors
  • Localizers (to translate all texts)
  • Administrators
  • more?

(Currently no characters are planned but this might change later)
Interested? Apply as team member

Be aware this is an open source project all source files (.blend, .py, .jpg, .png …) should be open source (not necessarily GPL). Be sure to publish your licence for any contributed file. There will be no technical copy protection planned yet.

Even if you do not want to join … any ideas are welcome :yes:

I’m sure this project will be a success. If it is done it will help a lot of newbies and old BGE users. Indeed the project members will learn much more just be working on the project.

I hope you like it.
Monster

I just finished a recruiting video for GGG:

Awful isn’t it?
If you think you can do it better join GGG - Recruiting video contest :wink:

BTW. Team Member can vote :smiley:

Edit:
Failed :frowning:

Im in! sounds epic

And another contest to find a better Logo see post#1:

GGG - Create a logo contest

Edit:
—> with a very nice logo!

I don’t understand!
What is this supposed to be in Terms of Genre? Right now it sounds like some Kind of a Tycoon.

EDIT:
Wait, is the Idea something like a Logic Brick-Tycoon? Turning the the Blender Interface into a Kind of Sim City like a Material Factory, a Physics Research Lab, a Film Studio to learn Animation…

i would join as logic developer, but i dont have keyboard! maybe in a time when i buy a new one i will join this :smiley:

The idea of the game is to “Play” the BGE.

Lets see it this way:

The user (imaginary person) created a very simple game: e.g. a Cube with a keyboard sensor + AND controller + Motion actuator.
Then the user starts this game.

Now it is the players turn. While the user is waiting what happens on screen, the players shift starts (indeed with scaled timeframe ;)). The player goes to it’s desk, checks the configuration of the sensor and sets the according output. This should not be that difficult.

If the output is correct and in time the game goes on until the user ends it and is happy.
If the output is incorrect or late the user gets annoyed (sounds familiar?). If the user is angry enough he stops/restarts the game = you failed your mission.

This alone sounds pretty boring after a short time. So you can work at other departments with slightly other tasks.
The missions will get harder with increasing difficulty.
You can collect processing time (by working fast).
You can buy tools that makes work easier.

In conclusion -> the player is running the BGE (or at least parts of it).

This is a prototype of the navigation

GGG is the project to create this game ;).

@lic.ki: no problem you can join later when it comes to behavior/logic development

I like the ide’, can’t join at this time, but i’ll be sure to folow this prodject!:smiley:

The idea sounds interesting. I’m interested.

The way I see it, is this “game” is like a genre of Game Engine Factory game which would fall under the Education genre.

I would see various game prototypes merged into a whole. The user could have the chance to see itself in 3rd person, 1st person and the interface itself. Little side story of concept can be impremented.

I am interested in trying some concept and pitch in some volunteering time.

When this project becomes more developed, I can see some possibilities to receiving funding under the Educational boards.

Keep us updated :slight_smile:

@YTech: Yes, one of the purposes is educational, but it is also a logic trainer, stress test, collecting game, and building game ;).

Just another idea: such a game would heavily promote the BGE :D.

BTW. I just found the link for joining (It was somehow hidden). Yo can find it now at the project page, this top post or you can apply here.

As team member you can indeed bring in ideas on concepts and stories.

Hey monster, ty for the help msg/reply.

Regarding GGG, how are things going? How many people are on the team at this point? I would like to contribute to a project as a way to develop my blender skills and by watching this process I think I could learn a lot about the BGE. At this point it seems to be a dead end to game production to me, unless there is a way to export industry standard components that can be brought in to another game engine that doesn’t use the blender player with it’s limitations. But people are still using the BGE instead of just exporting there work directly out to another package I guess? Otherwise there wouldn’t be threads like this around I’m guessing…

So I could help out as a flow tester, help text author, and have a bit of experience with digital audio work. If you have entry level stuff for beginners to chew on you could give me a boring piece of non-critical modeling to do. :wink:

BB

Cool!

I’ll help in any way I can, preferably programming and SFX.

Just wondering, how are we all going to have the latest version at all times? Are you going to use dropbox or something?

Keep your momentum…

Set up a team project thread monster?Eye candy etc? (for recruiting and for the community to see your progress?)

I will help any way I can, but if you can keep it on this forum, I can be more effective,

Thought of doing something like this before but instead of a game, I wanted to make the Game Engine easier to use through itself lol. I wanted it to have its own library and simplified tools just by managing it in the game engine. Also make the animations premade for certain creatures and objects and so on. The coding was an immense task and it never finished so I handed it off to someone else, never did hear back about it.