Jewelry Design Tutorial: Creating a model for a 3D printer

In this tutorial we will build jewelry ring ready for 3D printing from scratch, using non destructive modeling workflow which allow us to change product quick and easy.

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Download finished blend file:
http://db.tt/2WAIGB1w

netfabb:

This is good. I realize there may be language and accent elements which make it difficult for you to explain your techniques and methods for modeling fine jewelery so appreciate the text explanations included in the video.

Just curious as to if you are professionally trained and if so, from where?

All the best,
D

My foreign friends said that my English speech with accent (obviously) but it’s 100% comprehensible. Maybe my next tutorial will be with audio. Hope you would not want to rip your ear off because of me. :o
It’s not that hard to pronounce all those terms actually, my problem is that I made silly grammar mistakes while speaking. I just will try to do my best, and hope you guys will be ok with it.

Yes, I’m a professionally trained jewelry designer from Russian Federation.

And of course guys you always can comment my tutorials, hope to hear suggestions or wishes from you!
Thanks

When you are finishing the shank I noticed you were not snapping the geometry and instead just trying to get it as close as you could, any reason for that? Also, thought you may find the link below intriguing as to work being done for precision tools.

Which moment exactly? You mean when I made the undercut? I lowered the “bool in” object to Z -0.9 precise, and then start to adjust width (not as close as I can, it’s not need to :)). Because it’s not important, undercut need to be non less than critical thickness (0.8mm), so if my undercut varies somewhere in between 0.9 and 0.8mm it’s totally ok, swings just need to be not that sudden.

And little bit about precision in jewelry design, from my experience (kinda offtopic): clients who give me exact parameters of the product (like every single parameter) didn’t really know what they will finally get. They always like: “wa? why this is so thick/heavy/ugly? we need to remake everything!” (which of course means that I need to remake everything).
Precision is not that important as look of the product itself, and you will need to sacrifice precision in favor of good look.
Some times you even need to sacrifice critical parameters, like make thickness less than 0.6mm, knowledge what you can sacrifice and when will come to you with experience.

Yes I know about this branch, I’m tracking all modelling tools for blender since I got this job :smiley: (which is few years already). One time at my job I made a very precise modeling, my products was always with parameters like 0.800mm; 0.700mm; 1.400mm etc. no kidding. But when you modeling 100% precise, in time you start to loose your eye. Some really ugly things stop to look that ugly for you. And turns out that you no longer designer, just another guy who can make precise models by instructions.

PS
Jee… I hope this make sense to you.
If not ask me once again, and I will try to be shorter next time.

Ok, maybe this will help; about 5 minutes into the video you are scaling the ring to close the circle. As you scale you are trying to get the two ends to of the circle to intersect but what you really want is to use snapping tools and then when you scale, the edges of both sides of the circle will snap when they come close together and then you can just remove doubles. This is just a small tip which may help speed up your work flow. But then again, maybe not… just trying to help.

And everything you said makes perfect sense to me. :yes:

Snapping will not work in this case, “Shank” object deformed by the curve modifier is actually flat. If I want to meet the ends I need to scale along the X axis, so I need to have snapping target located at certain location: X = (pi*d)/2 and even if I use this formula ends will not meet each other for ~0.03mm.
So it has to be made by yourself.
But thanks for trying :smiley:

Thanks for the beautiful design of jewelry. I download from your given links.

[
http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/] making jewelry

[/TABLE]

In this tutorial we will build jewelry ring ready for 3D printing from scratch, using non destructive modeling workflow which allow us to change product quick and easy.
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Download finished blend file:
http://db.tt/2WAIGB1w

netfabb:
http://netfabb.com/]([TABLE="width: 611)[/QUOTE]

This tutorial answered so many questions of mine. Thank you Ice Climber!