9 square meter chess poster - motif needed

Hi!

I am Adrian, I am from Germany and volunteering in the youth chess organisation of my home state Lower Saxony (around 6,000 organised chess players). Since a couple of years our number of people who are active in chess clubs is declining and there is no turn around expected if we don’t act. Therefore I developed an idea to promote chess and make this fantastic game more visible to the public. I need your help to do that. So what is that all about?

1. We want to advertise chess on these large billboards (9 square meter) in various German cities.

We need a great motif and that is where I will need your support.

2. How many billboards will be used?

That depends on how much money we will collect. I hope that we will cover at least 3 cities with 1 billboard for 10 days.

3. What is the content of these billboards?

We want to advertise chess. Full stop. There will be a German text and a reference to the next chess club. Like I said I would ask for your support to create a great motif that we can use for these posters. So feel free to be creative. Our intention is to show that chess is a modern game which is played by millions worldwide. So we need a modern/cool motif that improves the image of chess.

I already have two ideas for such a motif, but anything is possible:

a) The king as chess piece in the centre, dark background, spotlights on him. Working title “Chess in the spotlight”
b) Chess is rather known as game which is played by a small minority, mostly seniors. But there are millions of us chess players, so another idea is to create a set of chess pieces and form them to a huge army. Like in Lord of the Rings, hundreds of chess pieces in a formation. A nice text like “There are x million chess players in the world. Become one of them.”

These are just first ideas, maybe you have better ones.

4. How you can help

Basically we need somebody to create the whole motif and make it look as “cool” as possible. The better it looks the more money we can raise from people in Germany who want to support our campaign. And this means more cities where we will advertise.

5. What you get

We are a voluntary organisation and I spend a lot of hours to organise tournaments for youth players. I do not get any money for it and I cannot give it to you. But: You support a good cause (bringing kids and adults to a great game), we will mention you and your contribution on our campaign homepage and your motif will be on a big billboard in German cities. Furhermore we would probably use it to create smaller posters.

6. Last words

I know it is a lot to ask and a lot of work. But as a Linux user I know how helpful so many people in these communities are. So I have a little hope that one of you accepts the challenge. Feel free to ask me if you have further questions.

Thank you for reading!
Adrian

I’ll enter my image definitely :smiley: It’d be cool seeing my image on billboards in different countries!

Awesome! If there happen to be more than one submission, we will have a public poll, which ones to use.
One more thing: This is the only forum where I have posted it so far. If there are one or even more willing to help, I will definitely also add a Blender button to our campaign homepage :slight_smile:

How about a deadline??

Ok, our plan is to collect money until the end of the year. Afterwards we will have a poll which motifs to use.
So I can integrate your proposals until the end of the year. However, we cannot start to advertise to raise money without a first proposal. So the earlier I get some material the more money we can get and the more billboards we can pay.

Sounds good

Somebody asked about a logo. Here you go.
However, I recommend not using it. We do not want to promote our organization, but the game. Also the logo is really rather outdated.

I forgot to ask. What dimensions do you want the image to be in?

The size will be 356 cm x 252 cm.

In pixels?

Correct me if I’m wrong but a 9 meter bilboard is huge but is viewed from a distance so the image quality is often quite low, around 30 or 15 dpi I think.
So that’d be around 5500px

5500px by???

How hard can it be, dimensions are normally width * height, the dimensions specified are at a ratio of around 1:0.7

so your 5500 would probably be 5500w * 5500*.07w = 5500w*3850h

grosem, ball’s in your court mate

Alright. That is what the website of the billboard company tells me:

Format:
59,4 cm x 42,0 cm + 0,3 cm Cut
Resolution
300 dpi
CMYK

Does that make sense?

This makes very much sence! I can convert it to pixels if you like?

Go ahead :wink:

7051 pixels x 4996 pixels x 72dpi

I was thinking of a title for my image (brainstorming off your 2nd idea)
“THERE ARE MILLIONS OF CHESS PLAYERS IN THE WORLD AND EVEN MORE TO BE REVEALED”
Please give me any ideas to add.

Cheers,
FERGOBLENDER

Wow, looks great!

Anyone else working on an idea?
I am in the process of creating the German website, which should be finished by the weekend.

Cool :smiley: Can’t wait to finish off my image! May the best Blender win @M1C4HTRON13 :slight_smile: