[Addon] External Paint Autorefresh FREE

UPDATE: External Paint Autorefresh is now free, the new page is at
https://sites.google.com/site/pointatstuffwe/external-paint-autorefresh

Hi everyone, External Paint Autorefresh is now free and open source - it’s an addon that synchronizes Blender with Photoshop and/or GIMP for texture painting:

List of features

• One-sided autorefresh modes. Hit a shortcut in your image editor to make the texture update in Blender. Hit a shortcut in Blender to make the texture update in your image editor.

• Two-sided autorefresh mode. Just work in your image editor while the texture updates by itself in Blender, or switch to working in Blender while the texture updates by itself in your image editor. The updates happen only when you are actively working on the image, and at a frequency that you set.

• Shortcuts for importing the UV layout into your image editor, and for saving/reloading layered images while ignoring the UVs and other similar layers.

• Photoshop shortcut for quickly saving PNG images.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this plugin! It looks like it will be very useful. I’ll have to give the trial a try later.

The trial doesn’t seem to work for me. Does it work with Blender 2.64a 64-bit windows and Gimp 2.8.2?

Edit:
Nevermind. I have it working now.

Released to the community is set free?
Now open source code?
Where can I download the plugin?

Ok glad you have it fixed.

The addon is now free and open source, you can download it on our website (in signature below).

Hi!
OS X 10.7.4 Gimp 2.8 don’t work, how fix it?

Hi!
At Os X 10.7.4 Gimp 2.8 don’t work ( no add-in filters is presented ).
How to fix it?

Try doing this. Put the GIMP plugins into some folder, then in GIMP go to Edit >> Preferences >> Folders >> Plug-Ins, there create a new path pointing to the folder and click Ok. Restart GIMP.

whoa, sweet addon. i can’t stand Blender’s texture paint system so i’ve always used 3D-Coat for my texture painting needs, but i’m going to give this a shot. :slight_smile: thanks!

Is any hope for work Pixelmator?

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

I think it confusing to use

woo! thankyou!

Quick update; if you guys have any problems using this addon, check out the manuals.
https://sites.google.com/site/pointatstuffweb/manual

We will try to develop autorefresh depending on our time constraints. But it’s open source now though so anybody can update it at any time.

The addon is open-source now so maybe someone new can make the pixelmator version - just look at the gimp or photoshop code as an example.

Hello I’m using Gimp 2.8.3 on Mac OSX 10.7.5 it doesn’t work (no add-in filters is presented).
I also tried this. “Put the GIMP plugins into some folder, then in GIMP go to Edit >> Preferences >> Folders >> Plug-Ins, there create a new path pointing to the folder and click Ok. Restart GIMP,” but it still doesn’t work…any thoughts?

I’m using CS6 on Mac using Mtn. Lion. I can see the scripts, and I have the add-ons in the Bridge, but I can find nothing on what the shortcuts are or if something has to be physically turned on. If I painted on the image I created in Blender and save it and then use the Autorefresh Save script, it shows up in Blender. That was the only way I could find to do it, so I created an action to do just that. However, I would be grateful to see how this is really supposed to work. What and where are the shortcuts? Thank you for the add-on.

Ok, so I read through again and see that you need to assign the shortcuts, which is fine. I was able to get it to autorefresh if I opened the file, went to the Bridge and selected autorefresh (even though nothing happens to indicate that it is actually enabled). I go back to the image and paint and it quickly refreshes in Blender. However, if I try to use the autorefresh to place a layer with the uvs on the file, it no longer autorefreshes. For intricate UVs, how can we paint without the guidance of the uv template? Is there a way to add this that will not disrupt the autorefreshing?

Hi everyone, sorry if the Photoshop version seems a bit confusing. Basically, save the image with Blender and open it with Photoshop. In Blender toggle the “UVs” checkbox then in Photoshop do the “File >> Scripts >> Blender Autorefresh Import UVs” to import the UVs into a layer called “ignore UV” - since layer name begins with “ignore” it won’t be touched. In Blender click the “On” button then in Bridge click the “Tools >> Blender Autorefresh >> On” or “On: fast PNG” and then just paint in Photoshop - when you release the mouse the image should autorefresh.

If the autorefresh stops by itself for whatever reason, turn it off (click “Off” in Blender) and then back on again in Blender and Bridge.

We updated the manuals to make them clearer, hopefully.

Hi. Great plug in!
I am working with xcf files yet I wanted to see the changes in blender. The problem was the GIMP side of the plug-in only automatically saved the xcf. I updated it to also automatically export, if the xcf file has been exported already.
I understand the plugin is now open source however I couldn’t find the repository.
Here is the diff file: http://sdrv.ms/X1e8V9

Sorry if the code is not ideal, I have never programmed in Python before.