IOU - fixed camera prerendered deremake

IOU aka Borrowed Certificate OR promissory note. Former working title: ‘Project dREAD’

Survival Horror has changed. So we changed it back.

Hello blender community. Welcome. Do yourself a favor and skip to page 6 (thread post #101). That is where I begin to find the game’s visuals and narrow my needs. Thanks for reading!

Looking to give survival horror a update. PS1 style puzzle game. I started this project after seeing many distress calls being made on the internet over the sad state of Recent Resident Evil. Instead of continuing to only whine I’ve decided to just make my own spiritual successor while continuing to talk shit the entire time. - edited: Sept. 2016

Inspirations for project
Resident Evil REmake/0/1/2/3 and Parasite Eve.
MORE: The Shining(the film), Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, FinalFantasy 6/7/8/9, ZELDA

The goal here is to satisfy gamers that grew up playing Playstation/Gamecube Resident Evil games. With plenty of classic adventure PC aspects.

The core game is a item collection puzzle game, with zombies and monsters. Lateral thinking to solve problems and advance to new areas. It uses pre-rendered backgrounds w/ 3D character/monster models placed in front of the image.

Lateral thinking is solving problems through an indirect and creative approach, using reasoning that is not immediately obvious and involving ideas that may not be obtainable by using only traditional step-by-step logic.

Some features:

• Pre Rendered backgrounds
  • Fixed camera
  • 3D models
  • Real Time Inventory Management
  • puzzles
  • focus on speedruns
  • replayability
  • limited saving
  • exploration
  • memorization
  • backtracking
  • hidden items
  • limited ammo
  • zombies!

The final game will have fully rendered CG cut scenes. Most in-game dialogue will be done through ‘text boxes’ (think PS1 Final Fantasy) Both from spoken non player characters and internal dialogue
examples:

JOHN: “Where are your keys?”

“The door is locked from the other side.”
“You try and start the machine, it fails miserably.”

“Is this room full of mold?”
…Further searching
“Yes this room is definitely full of mold…”

I will try and update around the middle of each month.

First placeholder created for the project

noise test 3: Jan.2015

or use the video playlist with everything:

This thread sounds like a dating site discription. But the project looks very nice. Keep it up!

Oh crap… It does doesn’t it? Do you want some penis enlargement pills?

good modeling skills…i look forward for more :smiley:

Thanks!

HUB building

Attachments

cool idea… just don’t quit!!

I won’t quit (: I actually start to beat myself up inside when I don’t make some sort of daily progress. Even if its just a few minutes progress.

Careful about using “Olympic” in your game, the Olympic Games Committee is sue happy.
Glad to see some old school RE/Alone in the Dark game being worked on.

Hm. While I love the idea, I’m a bit skeptical about some of the things. A lot of the features you want to implement did contribute to the experience of older games, but unfortunately can also be game-breaking. The Deus Ex: Human Revolution team explicitly left out having healing items (except they didn’t :confused: ) because they didn’t want the story flow to be interupted by a mad dash of back-tracking and scrounging. I assume that as the game picks up and progresses you don’t want to interupt that speed. If you want to keep healing items that’s definitely you’re call, but I just wanted to comment on why health regeneration has become a staple nowadays. I’d play it either way, personally!

I have no idea of python’s capabilities, but would you consider having a notebook feature, where the player can directly input things into the game? Asking a player to memorize all kinds of locations, codes, etc. can be an issue for some. If you include an in-game way of keeping track (ala Phantom Hourglass) then players have no excuse. …Well, a poor excuse, anyways.

Limited saving seems kind of cruel. Assume a player is trying to maintain them and then gets killed halfway into the game. Do you think they’ll play the whole game over, or they’ll just give up?

As for the animal you have to kill; I just request it’s an actual threat and not a deer that looks at you funny, or an angry squirrel. Something like a bear would be cool. (Just not a wolf; they’re brutally overdone.)

Anyways, those are just my two cents! As I said, it’s your game, so I don’t mean to come off as RAW RAW DO IT THIS WAY. Just some things to think about, haha.

[updated reply to user Duressian]

Nice! Is this going to be like resident evil? Where you move like a tank?

Yep, the main staples are beautiful backdrops, tank controls and puzzle collection.

Logic brick nodes can create tank controls without much fuss I’ve found (:

Looks good! I like the blender detergent :slight_smile:

Ex.

Can’t take modeling/texture credit for the awesome blender bottle, window shades and other bottle. They are downloads from blendswap. I plan to make my own window blinds, it always helps to study someone’s attempt first.

The rest of the objects are my designs.

Well, I’ve been meaning to create a game like resident evil myself, but the work is just so much to be done. Please don’t quit!

Well thanks for the support fullgrown. If you got anything from your project I’d love to take a look.

This starts fetching my Interest as I find it pitty that these classical Survival Horror Games are obviously dying out. I hope you get far with this, and I hope it will have some proper Horror too. ;}

good to hear