UV Unwrapping Issues

Hey all,

This is my first post on these forums, so I appreciate any help or advice you give me :slight_smile:
I’m quite new to blender so I’m sure this question will seem very silly, anyway…

I’m working with simple cube now just to get a hang of UV Mapping and unwrapping etc, but whenever I try to unwrap the cube nothing shows up on the UV/image editor. I’ll explain exactly what I’m doing.

1. Go into editor mode and make proper seems to unwrap cube into a T shape
  2. Select the face editing mode so as to select all of the faces
  3. select all of the faces using the “A” key
  4. With all of the faces selected I click unwrap
  5. I switch over to the UV/Image editor by clicking “shift+f10”

and nothing shows up. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

What you are doing looks right to me– I just ran through your steps to be sure, and the only thing was that your hotkey to get to the UV image editor didn’t work for me. However, I would put that down to different computers. I’m not sure why nothing would show up.

When I unwrap some model I always use a split window. In one the Image Editor for the UV map/image and in the other the image. It might be that opening the UV editor after unwrapping something gets mixed up.
Another thing you can try is when you have the UV editor open, check that you object is still selected and in edit mode (no UVs are displayed in object mode) and then in the properties panel got to the mesh data and select the UV map (you should only have one).

make sure, your uv window is not showing rendered image (gray background).

Are your faces deselected in the 3d view when you go to the UV/image editor? If so, you may not see the uv map.

I also use a split window when unwrapping. I find it is much easier to work quickly when I have both available at the same time.

I actually went through those steps again after resetting to factory settings I believe, and everything seemed to work fine. I don’t know what was wrong. I must have messed up some of my settings :no:

Thanks for all of the suggestions though!

The Easy way to unwrap some simple object.

In Default screen open a Cube object to unwrap,

Select it.

click on object mode and select edit mode.

click Default button and switch to UV Editing

with object selected press z to go into wireframe mode.

with edit cursor showing in the cubes screen press u to

get the on screen UV Mapping options menu, select

Follow Active Quads, your unwraped cube will be in the left hand

Screen and will need to be scaled, to see all the details if your

mouse has a scroll button use it to resize the unwrapped cube to

show in the other window. Now you get to figure out how to texture

it. So, do I. I haven’t quite got that far yet myself…

I mostly did what the original poster did, with the only change being I had the UV/image editor open in a view right beside the 3D view with my cube in edit mode and all faces selected.

Absolutely nothing happens.

Some details on my setup:
Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) beta 4
2007 (Al) iMac
Blender 2.63a
The only plugin I have added is one for exports to Ogre 3D.

Suggestions?

I spent several frustrated hours working with this and was about to post here (just made my account just for the purpose) and then I managed to find the solution without any help…

In the UV/Image view’s toolbar it has View, Select, Image, UVs, and then another item… it’s like a document icon, then a plus button, some text, and then, just maybe, an X. If you see that X button, click on it and try unwrapping again. This, I suspect, is why reloading factory settings worked for the OP.

I don’t understand Blender well enough to know what is being deleted when you hit that X button, nevermind how I accidentally created it, but that seems to be the issue I had, and I wouldn’t be too surprised if that’s the issue the OP had.