Cutting out arched doorways from mesh

Hi, I’m new to Blender and need some help. I’m working on modeling a building, and would like to add arched doorways. Since I already have the basic shape (walls, roof) I’d like to know if it’s possible to cut a doorway out of a face of the mesh I already have.

Attachments

You could use the boolean modifier but you’ll most likely get a better result just modelling the cut out
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Booleans

There’s also a way by using the spin tool and the mirror modifiers just in case the boolean modifier doesn’t work out for you.

I personally am a big fan of doing it yourself; It gives me a lot more control over the resulting vertice/face count

I agree with Star Ranger4 and Richard Marklew. Yeah, you can use fancy tools, but nothing gives you better control than rolling up your sleeves and manipulating vertices.

• add a circle
  • delete half of it
  • extrude the two bottom vertices down to form the rest of the doorway
  • place all that behind your wall
  • get out your knife tool and use the arched doorway shape as a guide to cut the wall

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or, join the semi circle to the other mesh and join it up appropriately. Try all sorts, I’m sure you’ll work it out. =]

I’m all for doing it yourself as well. Also, in my experience, many modifiers tend to produce rather messy topology that can be frustrating to work with later, so doing it manually may actually speed your work in the long run.