Car #4 - Topology

Hello,

I attempting to do a automobile which is hard for me to do. I decided to use a box method then taken the box frame then splitting it up to separate parts. This is what I have so far. I don’t expect it to be perfect but much cleaner topology then the last car.

This is the frame minus doors, windows, and other details.

Vivienne

Attachments

Not too bad of a start, any wires?

I’ll post the wireframe once I finished doing the back and front windows. The car will have some boxy and curved elements as I get better with this type of modeling I’ll add more curves.

QUOTE=PeteMc;2087145]Not too bad of a start, any wires?[/QUOTE]

Here is the basic wireframe of the model. I use a subdivision modifier up to 4. In doing that I tried to make sure I eliminated all triangles keeping quads so I can do high subdivisions if needed.

[

Attachments

are you going to leave the wheel arch as a square (vertices arrangement) or are you planning on adding sum loop cuts?
keep going :smiley:

nice work so far, topology isnt bad either, keep at it :slight_smile:

hideous car btw (no offense meant) what is it?

Just a car. Its missing most of the other components so it looks like a stripped down something. The model is more for working on topology, function, and detail. The car does look like a beast not cute but fast.

I was thinking keeping the arch in the wheel areas. I made some monster looking tires in the past so I’m possibly going use them on on this model. If bored I make a new set of tires.

Your wireframe is very neat so far but I think you need more subdivisions - make it so that each quad in the wireframe is almost a square. This will make your wireframe more uniform and easier to change as you go. I’ve noticed that long, narrow quads in a wireframe with sub surf sometimes can create awkward crimps in your mesh upon rendering. Also I highly recommend that you add several more loop cuts and make your wheel arches actually arches.

I couldn’t tell from your screenshots how you’ve been modeling but a good way to model the body of a car is to use 4 reference images (front, back, side, top) of the car as the interior material for a cube who’s dimensions match that of the car. UV unwrap the box and map the reference images to the corresponding sides of the box. Also flip the box normals. Now, when you go into any of the views you will have one of the four reference images right behind your model. THen you can simply “trace” the shape of the car using vertex extrusions…does that make any sense

There is no real reference car photo. I been modeling it from scratch. I am taking some reference photos and noting where certain things should be place like the wheels on spots cars in relations to the windshield and other small things.

I added more to model. Normal cars you would not see between the seams. So I think I have to add solid modifiers. Someone mentioned the car isn’t pretty. I agree but I don’t think it meant to be pretty. Just fast and the big front kinda highlight to a monster engine.

Looking decent, and ugly can have its own beauty. :slight_smile:

Put a little more geometry where it’s needed and reduce subsurf; that will reduce the poly count and make rendering quicker. Four for subsurf is high.

good progress but you should definitely get some reference photos fro side view as your wheel arch i think is too high and narrow; should be more rounded.

I tried remodling the topology arch area. In doing so I rounded off many of the flat areas to give the vehicle a smoother feel. I think it worked. I will add the reference picture I used on the side for the wheelbase. The car is on the ground its just the liight passing through the window is hitting a the ground. So I will probably have to model the passenger area frame to cut down of light shining through.

I copied the tires and headlamps from a older model I did. I think the design is much much flowing from the first.

Attachments

I added more subdivision so I can go down to two which will keep it consistent but making it three. I added passenger area cage, manifold pipe on front, block as the engine, super basic rear and front lamps. I’m trying to eliminate dead space inside the frame so the underside can be black. I hope it works. I think turning the sharpness on the sun and brightness will help.

Then onto details! I think the vehicle look better in white.

I did a basic rim with nuts and bolts. Going work on making the tire and the disc breaks. Any thoughts?

Removed a mid loop cut inside…

I made some basic wheels. I think its okay.

These are the grills I made. Will be adding wheels and the grills doing the weekend at some point.

Rims looks nice but are too perfectly shiny.

Right. I am thinking of adding a very thing layer of dirt or cloud black white texture a little on the rim, disc brake, and the tire. Reason is must show cars still have some wear because of the car being moved around in real life. Just seen a truck go pass with vehicles on it and that what it looked liked around the wheels.