Prof. Monster's BGE Guide to Character Setup

Hi,

You want to add a fancy character to your game?
You do not know where to apply the logic?
Your character levitates in air or drops halfway through the ground?

Read the BGE Guide to Character Setup. It shows you how you can configure your character.

If you want to see it in action have a look at the Character LOD prototype [BGE 2.62].
(You can find the character in scene Groups.)

If you have questions
do not hesitate to ask.

Edit: update to 1.1

Attachments

CharacterLOD_release.blend (748 KB)BGE Guide to Character Setup v1.1.pdf (801 KB)

1 Like

Great resource - I’ve got some reading to do!
It’s crazy, when they’re near I get 6FPS, when they’re not so close I get 60, I never knew it makes that much of a difference, thanks Monster! :slight_smile:

As always: GREAT, thanks.

You seem to prepare the path for us all to follow, which is appreciated and does help a lot.
It seems that Doctor Professor Monster eats documentation for breakfast. :cool:

1 Like

Well, we say it’s a miracle that fails to work! : D

There are 200 (or more?) bones
all meshes are static

physical operations are very heavy (I think due to the static mesh!)

well, I do not think that they are “errors”
But it is a bit difficult to make comparisons with normal character.

more than 2 ManCandy I can not see (at 60 FPS)!

I feel slow with LOD ON and LOD OFF!

too heavy ManCandy!!! :wink:

That means it is a perfect example for a character LOD (level-of-detail).

The High-Detailed version of the character is the one with the helmet.
Initial I wanted to have a BGE version of ManCandy as it is GPL and well setup. It is slightly modified to run in the BGE. With all the bones it is really really inefficient. It is not recommended to have more than one of them in the screen. Theoretically it could do facial expressions. But I did not verified that.

The Medium-Detailed version a armature has far less bones. It runes quite fast but lags the animation techniques. interestingly this armature can reuse the actions of the high-detailed armature except for the legs.

The Low-Detailed version uses the same armature as the medium version. Rather than a skin mesh it uses solid objects parented to bones.

Both the medium and low detailed versions are running quite fast. I can imagine there can be versions with much less details (less bones, no armature). That could help to animate a crowd. The speed difference between high and low detailed Characters are quite good visible.

But this was not the point. the point was to give an example to see a complete character setup. As a gimick you can see that you can replace parts of a character.

BTW. The character does not have a complex behavior. It just walks to an object that places itself randomly in the scene on touching.

Monster you rock! this is really great and well presented, thanks a lot monster!

1 Like

Monster, how about moving the character correctly? Like not using dloc but linear velocity? I’ve been having some minor problems with physics myself.

Link in line “Read the BGE Guide to Character Setup. It shows you how you can configure your character.” is not working.

You get a

vBulletin Message
“Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator”

Thanks HG1, I haven’t seen the incorrect link.

Just corrected :smiley:

Im starting to grab your books prof. thanks gotta read them later

“The Medium-Detailed version a armature has far less bones. It runes quite fast but lags the animation techniques. interestingly this armature can reuse the actions of the high-detailed armature except for the legs.”

i want something like this,but using the same armature for different LOD.

PS: i take one year to understand what there write in the script :smiley: (only half script… a bit of PEP…? :wink: )
fortunately the PDF is instead very well done , and help me a bit also for read the script

interssing the varius obj to subdivide task , sound , LOD etc…

Yes, the concept of separating and delegating tasks helps a lot to design and implement the game logic.
You can focus on one simple task rather than fiddle around with one big and complex one (top-down).

gotta read this. I’m moving from simple actuators to python controlled movement, and suddendly my main character won’t stop walking and falls from the side of the platform.

Really helpful. Thank you for your hard work. You are the best Monster I have ever met :slight_smile:

Good info. Helped a lot thanks!

now which physics type should i use? character or dynamic?

This is up to you.
Even if this answer might not help - use whatever fits best your situation. Regarding the architecture of the character it does not really matter.

The Demo made with Blender 2.62 does not work with 2.76 that well (the navigation mesh is damaged). So I updated the navigation mesh.

Here is a screenshot with all three LOD levels (this is not the build-in LOD!).

Lowest level - the white one
Medium level - orange skin - no helmet
High level - orange skin - with helmet

Attachments

CharacterLOD_release_bge2.76.blend (796 KB)

Great as usual, however the sudden FPS drop when monster is near is frustrating. Wait for a solution

Magento 2 extensions include of Magento 2 One step checkout, Magento 2 Gift Card and Magento 2 Affiliate