WIP projects

Hey guys,

I’ve been lurking for some time. I also watched a good deal of tutorials without actually modeling anything.

I dedicated some time to Blender the other day and decided it was about time I got a bit more serious about becoming a Blenderhead. So I looked at the mess on my desktop looking for something to model and found an old firewire card.
I know, it’s not a very sexy subject but it helps me getting used to Blender UI and tools.

The real card:

And my progress so far, still a lot to do but at least I nailed the proportions accurately.

Thanks for watching.

Latest model:

Attachments

Looks great so far… can we see a wireframe?

Hey Natholas, thanks for your comment.

I took some time today to work on the back, what a pain that was! Topology is not great but since it’s a flat surface, tris don’t hurt.

Not sure why I get this grain in the plugs. I increased samples on area lights but it didn’t make any difference.

It’s looking good. Sometimes modeling things you have at hand is very instructive, as it makes you think (and see) all the little details. Good exercise man!

Keep it up!

Thanks Khell. There are tons of things near me I’d like to model as a practice.

In the mean time here’s a project I started earlier this year. I resumed working on it tonight. It’s one of my kid’s wooden toys. I still need to model two hammers used for playing xylophone and basically hammering the $h1t out of his toy. :smiley:

I’ll spread pieces later cos it looks too neatly placed ATM.

One question for you guys: how/where do I increase AO samples? Tutorials I found explain it for 2.49. How about 2.5? How can I get rid of shadow noise as seen in the render below? Thanks!

Been playing with lights/render cos it’s my weak point.

Colour test:

I tried to improve renders of the firewire card, now with materials.

I need to work on textures too, yet another weak area. :slight_smile:

Looks like my host is having issues so no images show up. Blah.

I watched Andrew Price’s intro to Cycles and thought I’d give a go at it. Turns out I kinda like it! :slight_smile:

I still need to add a label and make a final render with higher # of passes (500 on above renders).

What do you think?

hey!
nice topologys!
strongly the final render :slight_smile:

Thanks Symphony.

Firewire card done:

Resumed working on my kid’s toy, just a rough texture test to get thing going: :o

Whoa, nice progress, looks great!

:slight_smile: good!
you use cycle render?

Thanks for your kind words guys. I still have $h1t loads to learn but I’ll get there eventually. ^^

Symphony > yes, I’m trying to get used to Cycles.

I worked on the piece at the center today, nothing too fancy but I did get familiar with unwrapping tools in Blender. It was also an opportunity to practice texturing in Gimp (I’m more used to PhotoShop).

I tried to mimic real world lighting by adding a simple cube with a cutout window, placed a plane light (orange) and another plane in the middle of the room to give a little bit more light. What do you think?

I’ll get to the other pieces next time.

C&C welcome of course.

hey!

at first glance, i thought it was a rustic scene(final render) with a baby’s abandon old toy lo/

may be due to grain rendered with luxR … and the appearance of yellow lighting of your scene …

the apartment that the model and texture of the toy is well done! :slight_smile:

Hey Symphony. I use Cycles. :slight_smile:

Update on textures. ATM they’re flat but I’ll damage them, especially edges next time.

Hi McFly, just wanted to chip in and say hello and congratulate you again on the good work :slight_smile:

Thanks NJ. :slight_smile:

Final render:

And new project:

To-be-optimised-later wireframe:

Is that a Nokia 3410? Looks like my first mobile xD great work on the card and the toy, they really look great

You’re close bizla, it’s an N3310 aka The Rock!

Final render, well, at least for now. I might revisit it later cos I am not too happy about the b/g.

Ah brilliant, that was such a reliable little phone with a battery that never seemed to die :wink:
looks great mate, well done, brings back memories :wink: