Bobby's Little Adventure (2.5 compatible)

Update: I’ve attached separate footprints and snowflakes examples.

about:
Bobby’s Little Adventure is a small one level maze game were the goal is to find all the presents scattered throughout the level.

I started making this game over the holidays and it was originally intended for the second BGE weekday challenge.
But I just now finished it up and need to move on to something else.

DOWNLOADS:
There are three versions,

2.49b GLSL
(Requires a graphics card that’s GLSL capable)
http://bagoi.com/download/Bobby_2.49b.zip (10.4 MB)

2.49b-No-GLSL
http://bagoi.com/download/Bobby_2.49b_noGLSL.zip (10.4 MB)

2.5-GLSL
Requires the latest builds available from graphicall.org
(at least rev 25715)
http://bagoi.com/download/Bobby_2.50.zip (2.21 MB)

EXAMPLES:
new and improved snow flakes! (better than the ones in the game)
SNOW!!!_05.blend (161.3 KB)

Normal mapped footprints.
BGE_footprint_normal_map.blend (166.4 KB)

Any comments or criticism would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:
Edit: yes, I use that same tree in all my games lol

~Phil

Cute, but why do I have to play as a fat boy…:eek:

That was very well made! I really like the footprints, and I also like the random screams of joy! I notice you have like 3 animations, but it works very well! This game is very well polished, you could put it on Y8 or miniclip, or something like that! :smiley:

Thanks Linkxgl, I think it would need more work first, like a menu and more levels but I appreciate the comment. :smiley:

You’ve actually answered your own question, because it’s cuter.
But to be honest he wasn’t meant to look “fat”, but rather to look like he has a lot of padded snow clothes on.
And I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a little extra healthy anyway.

I hope you weren’t offended and I hope no one else will be.
This is something to definitely consider in the future, and I guess this type of game doesn’t appeal to the majority of blender users (teen and or mostly men.)
(my sister liked it and thought it was cute)

Any more thoughts/criticism?

Very well done. I think it’s good having the kid be fat. I would like to see a little more detail in his face, but that could just be me.

Hi PhilB,

you always come up with something interesting (blend examples or games) :slight_smile:

My thoughts :

• Not much to see yet, but the game looks nice
  • I hope you weren’t offended and I hope no one else will be.. Well, there is no reason to be offended (unless you had put a fat boy that stinks and has a dirty special power?).
    You don’t need to take extra precaution, I wouldn’t ask people if they were offended if I had black children in my games. Black, white, fat, skinny, the same.
    If people are offended, that’s their problem.
  • Nice job on the footprints disapparition.

=> After 20 seconds I stopped playing. I liked the visuals, but this is not a game “yet”.
There is no challenge, finding hiddem items is no rewarding, there are no steps in the difficulty level.
Finding items doesn’t require any skill : just going everywhere. Just a maze.
This was not that fun for me :confused:
I would suggest that you actually redefine the purpose of the game?
Make the research worthy for the player, not for Bobby only.

I hope you understand what I mean, there is nothing personal :slight_smile:
Just my 2 cents, you have something interesting here.

ME LIKE!! IT’s cute ^^

Well the only problem I got with it, is that it reminds me of south park. And I hate that stupid cartoon…:ba:

RobCozzens, thanks, I didn’t spend any time on the face except give him eyes.

=> After 20 seconds I stopped playing. I liked the visuals, but this is not a game “yet”.
There is no challenge, finding hiddem items is no rewarding, there are no steps in the difficulty level.
Finding items doesn’t require any skill : just going everywhere. Just a maze.
This was not that fun for me :confused:
I would suggest that you actually redefine the purpose of the game?
Make the research worthy for the player, not for Bobby only.
Cray, thank you very much for the detailed criticism, I guess overall it’s apparent that I only spent 2.5 weeks making it. :o
If I continue working on it I will keep this in mind, and I really appreciate it.:slight_smile:

jinthan, thanks : )

Well the only problem I got with it, is that it reminds me of south park. And I hate that stupid cartoon…:ba:
Hahaha, OK.
I was thinking of a Garfield comic were Jon bundles Garfield and Odie up in snow clothes then chucks them out into the snow,
but they can’t move because they have so much clothes on.

I updated the fist post with separate foot prints and snow flakes examples.

Hey yeah, I guess I was excited to see a game by PhilB! Ha ha, I played it and finished, and I would have liked a better ending.

Maybe you should of added a time period(a long one), and a power up that made you run faster, and maybe have bullies walking around, and you have a power that makes you invisible so you can dodge them, the invisiable ones respawn, but last one for live 5 seconds, and the fast power up make you able to run away from the bullies, but lastes a little longer. Also, if you take the bully idea, you should make it so when you start the level, your controls are suspended, and the camera does a quick overview of the maze/level.

If you add all that you need to make the maze, not really a maze, but more of an obsticle, obivous where you have to go, make it hard to get there… Hope that makes sence ;D

Those are my suggestions! Good Luck! Bye!

Wow this is a awesomely cute game! I love it! Good job. Is it finished?

Linkxgl, Thank you very much for the cool ideas!

JESUSFRK14, Thanks! I realize that it is far from being a complete game and it has little (if any) entertainment value. But it is finished meaning I have already spent more time on it then planned. I really appreciate the critiques and suggestions, and I may start working on this again.

Thanks

Four Swords Adventure is really good, but if your planning on playing with other people it can be annoying, in order to play with other people both of you have to have a Gameboy Advance and Gameboy Advance connector, and it only gets more complicated if you want to play with four people.

Great list and games guys! :slight_smile:
thanx for the links :smiley:
Thats one from me http://www.kizigamesxl.com/

Nice !!! it sounds Like a game a 3 year old boy would play.
Hahahahha anyway man Great game nice game man.