Third person game template (big update)

Hey everyone.

I went digging through my old game files and i found a test i did, but never finished. I got to thinking, "'hey, this would make a good template for someone to start a game project with. so i restored it and made it compatible with blender 2.49 and well here it is!

Its designed to be a real time, cinematic style, combat system for any third person RPG or action game.

feel free to build from, build on to, or build directly on top of this project. however if you are going to build onto the template itself, you are encouraged to post your stable updates.

see latest post for link

Attachments

Cool,

good work

as always, thank you very much for sharing wonderfull blend files, highly appreciated

I checked your settup, thanks for sharing. Now I am trying to solve the main drawback - proper aiming while shooting.

Also I want to say that perhaps you have an outdated PC. You demo runs solid 60 FPS on my GF9600. You should not give up so easily, BGE of course is not Unity3d or UE3, but obviously for beginners it is much easier to handle. I think you should continue with what you are doing in BGE 2.50.

As a suggestion, I would recommend you to make first gameplay. It is a real challenge i can tell from my experience. I think potentially the game can be very nice, just do not do everything simultaneously: models, textures, graphic effect and gameplay.

Good luck!

well to be honest there is alot of things that can be added. i didnt want to define too much, because then it becomes increasingly difficult for the end user to create with.

the gunfire was designed to represent the player shooting a fully automatic weapon with one hand. it would be difficult to maintain accuracy with his weapon being fired the way it is.

origionally i planned to make the aim be tracked to the mouse movement. i halfway figured out how to do this, but i couldnt find a method which allowed me to track the armature controlled weapon to the firing empty object, and still maintain all the needed animations.

however if you can find a fix, it would only benifit the project. thanks for showing interest

Its o.k. but there is a few bad thing that you must fix.

1- the character can’t move in diagonal… that’s very bad.
2- the rig doesn’t have any IK setup… that’s why it may be hard to animate him…
3- the character line up with the camera only when going forward and backward.
4- hang time for deaths is good but it produce the frustrating hopping bug as you know (you could fix that by resseting the handtime with ground collision)
5- the melee attacks make strange animation bugs
6- and finaly, dying should make the game restart

Happy modeling and good luck with that, it can become very usefull in the future :yes:

thanks for your interest
let me address some of your concerns

1- the character can’t move in diagonal… that’s very bad.

are you playing with a mouse? the game template dictates you must use the mouse. all movement orientation is controlled by the mouse

2- the rig doesn’t have any IK setup… that’s why it may be hard to animate him…

that is a problem, that i admit i cant fix without ripping up and starting all over, however its easily worked around and i had no real difficulty animating the character. good observation though.

3- the character line up with the camera only when going forward and backward.

this is intentional for default set up. if the character lines up with the camera while sidesteping, it doesnt allow the user to circle around a large enemy while continuing to focus attacks on the enemy. however this control is a matter of user preferance and can easily be changed by linking the A and D sensors with the track.

4- hang time for deaths is good but it produce the frustrating hopping bug as you know (you could fix that by resseting the handtime with ground collision)

that was actually a joke. i use to play alot of online first person shooters and i would hate it when people bunny hop. but like you said, the fix is plainly visable and easy to accomplish for the end user to change.

5- the melee attacks make strange animation bugs

ill work on a fix. where exactly is the bug?

6- and finaly, dying should make the game restart

this is not really a “game” but a template for somebody wanting to quickly launch a third person action game. the reason it fades to “blank” when the player dies, is so that the user can, well, fill in the blank. its up to the user to decide what happens when the character dies, but i had it fade out to show that when the charcter falls from a certain height, he will die. its up to the user to decide what that height should be and what should happen when he dies (restart, go to game over screen, etc…)

Nike work. Thank you very much for sharing wonderful blend files, highly appreciated
I like it really enjoyed.

your all very welcome.

i hope to one day have a enough free time to make project echo, but all i could afford to do now is its combat system in its most open ended form.

i thought it would be wrong to keep my results to myself, and if project echo never happens i would love to see someone make somthing from or inspired by this combat system

lol bunny hoping is strictly forbiden

Hey dude, the link is invalid!

link is not working, file deleted??

Hi all

I released a third person template a while ago based on the combat system for my discontinued game “project echo”

Using that template, i heavly updated it and have decided to make a short game based off the unused echo combat control. (ECC)

for those of you who are not familar with (ECC), its a third person control scheme with a real time cinematic style camera. The default weapon layout is a melee weapon in the left hand, projectile weapon in the right.

the game i made with it so far is only a fight with a boss (ball-socket knight). The graphics are simple and digital style for maximum framerate (60 fps) with cool suedo atari style CG sound FX.

The controls are as followed:

Run forward- W
Walk backward- S
sidestep left- A
sidestep right- D
walk forward- SHIFT+W
jump- SPACE
shoot- LEFT CLICK
melee- RIGHT CLICK
enter first person- MIDDLE MOUSE
action- E
camera control- MOUSE MOVEMENT
dodge left- Q (on context)
dodge right- E (on context)

*enter starts boss fight

note: the player has the ability to dodge incoming red muntions. When the muntion is in range for the dodge, green rings will flash on the screen. at this moment the player may press Q or E to slide dodge left or right respectivly.

note: red muntions may be shot down mid flight

note: green arrows repersent weapon pitch (thanks jonn316)

note: ball-socket knight is defeatable, if your having trouble with him, PM me for the strategy i use to take him down.

note: your weapon will overheat with sustained firing, be sure to moniter the heat levels

okay, here it is! the link:

http://download885.mediafire.com/m9ggzdlvmx5g/ykk2y2lm1qn/ECCv2.5.blend

i will post the same thing as a game thread

Thanks for this NJROTC - you are a gem!

hey , good work nice :wink:
but … I have a error in the donwload he say 403 error
please attach the file agin :wink:

thanks dude , i might use this in a commercial project , do you agree ?

thank you :smiley:

It wont work, It says the file doesn’t exist

hi where is the link? GOOOOD JOB MAN