Hotkeys... They are saveable

Hey guys, did anyone else figure out that you can edit and SAVE keymaps?

If someone would have dropped me this piece of divine knowledge a month or two ago it could have saved me some time looking around…

Edit!(I just found a simpler way.)

All your keymaps can be edited and saved from user preferences input. Right under input at the top of the menu it says “Map:” to the right of that there is a space where it says Window. If you click where it says window it will give you a drop down list which theoretically should have something more in it but it doesnt. Here you can type in the categories that are located in your outliner and that will bring up the hotkeys for the different parts of the program. I dont know when they updated it but its here now. You can see what i mean in this screenshot of the UI window. http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/ Instead of window it says edit mesh.

(Other way)
The hotkeys in the outliner: take the name of the function you want, copy it. Now paste it as a new comand in the user prefferences hotkey menu (Hit that little plus button on the bottom right side). Now add a the shortcut you want. and there you go it works.

Also the little arrow to the left of the key map that expands additional options you want to put. most functions work on press but some may work better on release. Use your best judgement.

Rince repeat.

Now you can save it as defaults or export it out. It works…

So far i got it to work with navigation and remapped the
g r s keys.

Everytime I restart blender it coughs up the same key maps… my keymaps.

This works with every build since they put the key maps in as far as I can tell and it works with todays SVN build and so forth.

It is a bit more of a pain to set up than it will be once 2.5 is done done. But for now it works. Not all hotkeys are in yet but the major ones are navigation is allready remapable to max maya or xsi. So if there are any maya xsi or max guys around you can start editing. Technicaly you can remap the navigation to zbrush. Its pretty twisted but I think it would work everything short of snapping to ortho view.

Now… Ive been looking for a solution for this for over a month now. Looking through every thread checking every build looking under every filthy rock.

Can someone explain to me why this is not documented anywhere especially when the first build with the editable keymaps was released? This one thing is kind of a big deal.

Im sure there are people that knew this. Im also sure that there are many more who would have liked to know.

And now that i posted it exists somewhere. Hope it will save some people time.

Hey guys, did anyone else figure out that you can edit and SAVE keymaps?
Yes. Most us have known since they were first introduced. See that 2.5 development thread near the top of the forum? The one with over 6000 replies? that’s where we talk about it :eyebrowlift:

Welcome to the forum btw.

Hey thanks for posting this Astapov. I didn’t know that :slight_smile: that development thread is way too massive to wade through and find these nuggets of gold. I havn’t really played with 2.5 that much , but now that the alpha is coming out i should really start playing around.

Thank you for the welcome sir, happy to make your acquaintance.

Il be posting on here more in the future.

What can I say. Thats some luck on my part.

I do check that thread from time to time. I guess i didnt get to that page yet :wink:

All i know is that every time ive seen this question asked was asked it was answered poorly or not at all.

At any rate im happy to change my hotkeys now. This makes blender more or less complete for me even moreso than bmesh.

@ Pencil-Head

Thanks dude. I posted this specifically for people like you. (And a little for my sanity)

Is there a way to adjust the hotkeys as desired in blender 2.45?

If i look in the hotkeys menu, i can’t change anything there.