<<Raptor>>

Hey everyone!
This is my latest creation,I’am mostly done with the modeling,maybe some small parts like lights and gadgets are missing, but I will add it along the way.

It’s already rigged and I have a few short animations of him walking, but nothing serious. Yet.

I am currently planning to create a small “war” animation and have an idea about the characters (where <<Raptor>> is one of them),but I am still not sure about the story line and the name.So I will stick to modeling and texturing of my characters and by the time I am done, the story line should not be a problem.

Anyway,here is the model. Comments and critics will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

Wow This looks Awesome! Can you tell us how many verts it needs? Sorry for my bad english^^

First and foremost it is unique - which is very hard with anything in the mech / sci-fi field. Well done!

Secondly - very clean modelling and lighting as well to show it off. Is that just gamma corrected AO and a single light source with a bit of colour?

Thirdly - some critique. Texturing and materials will help this out somewhat, but whilst I really love the curvy forms, the ‘arch’ forms over the guns, lower legs and feet look a little too decorative for such a machine. A little thinner with a couple more connecting poles and they could be a support brace, a little thicker and wider and they could be armour plating. At the moment, they look quite decorative, which would work on a hover sports car or something, not so much here. Partly that isn’t helped by what I assume are ammo belts into the cannons, which seem to add to the decorativeness as far as curvy forms go. If they are ammo belts, I would recommend the effort in making the individual bullets and some linking chain. This could be done with dulpiverts and a bit of tweaking.

In all seriousness, that’s about it for critique at this point, clean modelling, weight looks balanced, design is interesting but practically feasible with a little creative leeway (other than previous mentioned curvy bits)
You should feel proud of where this is heading!

One thought as you seem to be heading in the purposely over the top direction… A guess of scale would be that this machine is 1.5 - 2.5 times the height of a humanoid, given the cannon size. If you put a flamethrower into / under the undercarriage, it would be about chest / belly height of a humanoid, acting as a close range defence if any ground troop got under the blind spot of the mounted cannons and tried to plant explosives. Also - the back looks like it is loaded with ammo and no protection, meaning a rocket would probably make short work of it. A small armour plate or two wouldn’t go astray.

Oh, and if you aren’t using it already, this would make a great test subject for the SSGI node being developed - http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144514 because of all the overlapping forms and such.

Very clean modelling!
Maybe you can fill some place at the back? It’s a little empty there. Maybe a rocket launcher, or ammo…
It is amazing at this moment, i hope the rest of your scene will be the same style, because i really like it!
Happy blending!

Thanks guys!!

“SAJ” - thanks for the comment> The entire model is 1322421 vertices. I didnt hesitate to put as much detail as I can and its not over YET.

“BenDansie” - thanks a lot man, for all the advices.I agree about the back armor - it should be there.
The top part of the robot was modeled in such a way that it can turn 360 degrees around it self and about 120-130 up and down, which I think should be more than enough to protect it self in a close combat. You might already noticed it(some of my friends didnt :slight_smile: )…the additional guns next to the mini-guns ARE the flame-throwers.

About my ammo-belts - I started modeling the bullets ,but then I though…this robot is going to take quite a punch so I created some kind of “cover” over it for protection.So what you see is a cover.But the open bullets will indeed look nice.

About the arch looking parts…they are armor plates…only with “style” :slight_smile: ,but maybe you are right,I should make it a bit wider around the guns.
Also thank you for the link…I will definitely read through it.

“Jesus” - thanks man. I am going to add some armor plates at the back will see how it looks.

Update on the back armor plate.

Will start texturing tomorrow.

Attachments

Nice job on the rear plates. I was wondering about those nozzles with the holes - not heaps familiar with flame throwers but they feel like they may be a little long? If you’ve looked them up more than I have that’s fine, long probably just gives it more direction control anyway.

Hey, looks much better!

That’s Vild :smiley:

Awsome!!

I am really stuck with texturing my robot. I tried green ,grey, metalic…I dont like it!!!
If you guys will have some nice ideas , please offer.
Thank you.

excellent amazing modelling and detail and everyhting!! >.< lol. for the texturing colors, if the animation or scene is city based you could go with a white and gold or white and red combo with some metallic thrown in. o and i dont mean white white. i mean creamy white. for all situations a blueish light grey color with metallic and black might work too, or a dark red and black combo. you could also do desert camo with various shades of tans and brown. sorta like the marketed colors of the tau in war hammer 40,000 k. im done. just throwing ideas out there :stuck_out_tongue: hope i helped.

http://screenshots.en.softonic.com/en/scrn/42000/42023/3_hl2wmp.jpg

Swap orange for a teal maybe? That sort of mix of damage, grey(s) unpainted and colour painted I quite like…

look amazing! but I think it should be orange like in that picture

This is one of the most original and beautiful machines i have seen in a long time.