Times of day

Hi Folks,
Still playing with Vray and Andrey’s great exporter.
Here, I’ve tried to convey a feeling of the different times of the day by playing with the environment and lights.

I decided to model the entire scene, including the buildings outside, so that I could be able to shoot from all possible angles and under different light conditions and get a result straight out of the box without having to play with alpha maps and background plates. There is post-pro, but it’s mainly for colour tweaking, lighting and lens effects.

Everything was modelled in Blender except the trees on the terrace, which are a mixture of Evermotion and Xfrog models. Rendered in Vray.

I’m going to do one more set of shots with cloudy weather, as well as some close-ups with DOF, so I’d be very grateful for any feedback you can give me.

Cheers,

B

Attachments

One last image

Attachments

The lighting is incredible, though maybe a little dim in the shaded areas for broad daylight (the first 3 pics).

Can’t tell what time of day the last one is supposed to be.

Well done yet again,
I can just about pick all the times of day.
(The last one? 9.00pm on a brightly lit night?)
Great series, I always look forward (around) for your images.
Very masterful.

the last one is best… i like how inside and outside meet…
the spaces are very empty, it can be a good thing, but somehow i get a feeling some characters would make it even more interesting. maybe even emptier. sometimes.

.b

Blimey. The first 4 look like photos, and i really mean that, if i hadn’t seen them posted by you i would have thought it was some good photography. The last three are a little too themed in colour and feeling. They aren’t as realistic although they are more interesting from an artistic pov.
The last one, my favorite for the play on colour and the separation between indoors and outdoors is in my opinion the least realistic simply because i think the indoors light would spill more on to the outside area, but the way you’ve done it is beautiful.
It seems the balance between realism and visually interesting is a difficult one.

refer to my previous posts… enough said!
render times?

This is really good BdB! Can you give us some comparison renders between Blender Internal, Yafray, and Vray?

Beautiful. 5 stars.

Fantastic! I also think taht the last one is teh best! :slight_smile:

Nice!

Amazing work again, BbB. I really like the style, and am amazed at how fast you work (how much time do you spend on these?) I really like what you have done with this. I like how you used some of your other work as an exterior. I also am curious what your render times are. Also, the black part of the pillar appears to be carpet, if it is I think its too reflective, if its concrete then maybe not reflective enough.The only other thing, is that, for some reason, vray when it is calculating the GI and radiosity seems to make objects in shadow seem like they are not ‘anchored’. I don’t know if you could fix that by playing with lighting or what, but it is something I have noticed with many vray images.
Here’s what I mean, it almost feels like its floating:

Regards,
Tim

Congratulations, those are perfect!

Wow thats real nice!!! coughgallerycoughcough

+1
those must be in gallery

Exquisite. They look photo-realistic. Great work!

Anayo, Intel, RedJay, LaSphere, Skyler, StompinTom: Thx a lot, mates. Much appreciated.

TCrazy: Thanks man. I noticed that too regarding the shadows. I’m not sure if it’s as it should be, or if there’s really a GI problem. I will look into it when I do more renders. And yes, you’re right, the buildings outside are from an older Indigo project, just tweaked for Vray.

Hauser: Thanks. I haven’t used Yafray in a few years so I can’t say. As for BI, any comparison would be unfair since BI doesn’t do GI.

Animal: Thanks man. Really glad you like them. Yes, the night ones were real nightmares to do. Lots of trial and error. And they are indeed not very realistic since the outside is much lighter in the image than it really should be (unless the last one has some very strong moonlight). I console myself by thinking of the time when I was doing photography and would use tons of tricks to make the images look nicer and less realistic.

Basse: Thanks. Characters would be the next step. I’m not quite there yet :wink:

Meta-Androcto: Thanks for the kind words man.

NeonStarlight: Cheers. Yes, it’s quite tricky to balance light and shadow in the sunlit images. Such images would be hard to take as photos since the outside would always end up being washed out or the inside too dark. Someone with a better command of Vray’s setting would probably be able to achieve a better balance, though.

As for render times, about 30 min each for the sunlit images at a resolution of 1600x1200 (slightly downsampled here). The night images took a bit longer, maybe 45 minutes, due to HDR illumination. As always, the more foliage you have, the longer the render time, especially here since I was using translucent material for the leaves (in the sunlit images only).

This is just too real…

amazing work!!!
I think the outside should be darker in your ‘night’ pictures,
but it’s such a small thing, when the work is this good.

tcrazy

… seems to make objects in shadow seem like they are not ‘anchored’. I don’t know if you could fix that by playing with lighting or what, but it is something I have noticed with many vray images.

It can be done by increasing GI quality and using area lights in skylight portal mode. More info http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/light_params.htm

BbB
Great renders :slight_smile:

The exposure outside the windows are way off.

The lightning seems off because of that.