Cyberwolf head.

This started quite some time ago as a character concept for a small video game. 95% of modelling was done in Wings3D. No z-painting was used - everything is a mesh. Model was exported to Blender with my own version of .obj importer that preserved edge creases. No 2D maps were used. All painting was done with vertex colors only. Everything else is procedural. No particular raytracing was used except for ambient occlusion. Rendertime: ~5 mins @ 1600x1600 on Quad 2.66MHz. Some color corrections were made in GIMP.

More stuff here:
CGTalk thread

Downloads:
Crease-aware Wings3D OBJ Importer Script

Interactive turntable (3DNP):

Attachments

very nice work. The best blender still I have seen in a very very long time. I think he would be a beautiful character for a cyber - fairy tale something in style of Howls walking castle or similar.
Only things I would crit- the "flesh " around thooth looks a little like plastic - if it should be a dark metal, it needs a little more work(some spec or tangent mapping…)
2nd are the inside of ears- it looks like realistic reproductors, but too much like contemporary.maybe something which would fit more more round shapes or maybe an old-school studio microphone on 3 strings.
But these are details, overall look is perfect.

Sweet! I really like this style. Only vertex colours and procedurals? Well done!

Thorsten

Great work!
Just like I like to do my shading and textures (Vertex Paint + procedurals + Nodes). Really well done.
Like the model design to. :slight_smile:

five stars.

Cool, he looks very intracate.

@pildanovak
I got your points. I kinda agree with the first issue. As for the second, placing speakers in ears was some kind of a provocation right from start and style difference just makes it more vivid, I think) Ears are for stereo-roaring and mouth is for biting!)

Thank you for your feedback, guys)

It’s kinda fascinating, I don’t know what to say, impressive :slight_smile:

Hey, nice concept, very good execution and modeling.

Thank you for your warm comments once again)

Since most people who saw this picture mentioned intricate ornament I decided to make a small composition with it.

http://vladius.fanatic.ru/pics/cyberwolf_details_c.jpg

This made me download Wings3D… Cool program, more then a few features i would like too see in blender.

Also, that is a very nice velvet.

this should definitively go in the wings3d official gallery. all the stuff they have there are not so awesome.

Wings3D is the best modeller I have seen yet. I would not even change it for commercial ones. The only ‘problem’ about Wings is that it is written in Erlang, the language I just can’t get used to, so it is hard for me to change or add anything to its feature base…
Feel free to use my crease-preserving script to import Wings3D obj files into Blender. I hope it will be as handy for you as it is for me now.

I agree I should post this work to Wings3D gallery.

Velvet is a modified version of blue velvet at blender-materials.org. It has some additional node-based and material tweaks. I plan to release it to the public in not too distant future.

Thanks for your comments!

My congratulations, beautiful model.
I don’t know Wings3D, so excuse the dumb question, what you’re able to do in that not being able to replicate it in blender?

I like the amount of detail on your cyberwolf armor, I want to do something like that someday O_O

Stunningly beautiul.

That’s awesome, you really seem to know your renderer!

Yeah, I have the same question as ShilaM. How is wings3d better for modelling? (Not that I dont’ believe you, just curious) is it open source, like you can sell stuff you make in it?

Wings3D is an open-source package oriented for subdivision modelling(aka box-modelling). Blender’s modelling capabilities forbid such things as n-sided(5 or 6-sided) polygons which is essential for me. Also I’m quite disturbed by Blender’s manner for displaying some reduntant info and being forced to climb through hotkey sub-menus on certain operations. Wings is a specialized app. I like specialized applications because they address only certain tasks. Occasionally that makes them faster, more stable and more straightforward. I can see some really good things modelled in blender, but unfortunately my experience tells me not to recommend blender as a modelling application(at least with some exceptions). You can make a lot of different things in blender. All of the things that can be done in Wings3D can be done in Blender, since everything is made of polygons in the end and 5 or 6 sided ones are generally bad for subdivision algorithms. This question is about how much time you have to spend on making them, I think.

If you were going for a realistic look, then it’s not quite there, however, the overall style is nice and materials are really good.

To make it more sinister maybe make the mouth and teeth organic so it seems, the head is metal, but the mouth is real and ready to bite.

I don’t know Wings3D, so excuse the dumb question, what you’re able to do in that not being able to replicate it in blender?

you can replicate all. I model with Blender too when feel in the mood. Like him, my personal preference for that task is Wings, but that’s me. Same as my animation tool for preference is Blender. I think this is no bad thing, just personal preference on an specific area of a project.

The man shows quite a patience modelling all those featuring and that curious exericise of do that complex surfacing only with procedurals and vertex colors…